Media General - Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Media General

"Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

Cons

Poor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Advice to Management

Hopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)

Other Employee Reviews for Media General

1. "Lots of opportunities as news employee. Lots of micromanaging"

Current Employee - Photojournalist
    Current Employee - Photojournalist

I have been working at Media General full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I always had a fair amount of freedom. Do your job and you won't get bothered much. 3 weeks vacation after 3 years, 4 weeks after 10 years. You usually have what you need to work with, not much more. Pretty good benefits and PTO policy.

Cons

Lots of changes at the corporate level, not sure if good or bad at this point. Small raises. Typical news media company. Lots of decisions being made by people who may not understand them.

Advice to Management

Corporate restructuring currently going on - so not sure how that will change things. Make more of an effort to retain good employees.

"Good products terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

Cons

Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Advice to Management

Invest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.