Media General - Behind the Times | Glassdoor

"Behind the Times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wear multiple hats, direct link to senior exectives

Cons

not enough staff for the work, horrible work-life-balance, laughable relationships between colleagues.

Advice to Management

Employees are people, too. They can't counteract the deplorable state of your industry just cause you stomped your feet and told them, too.

Other Employee Reviews for Media General

"Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

Cons

Poor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Advice to Management

Hopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)

"Good products terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Worked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

Cons

Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Advice to Management

Invest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.