Media Matters for America - Great office, great people, great cause... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Media Matters for America

"Great office, great people, great cause..."

Current Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Communications Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

I believe in the cause that Media Matters works towards, and so do most of the people I work with. We're there because we want to be there and we're dedicated. In addition, my colleagues are young and fun, and it's a very collegial work environment. There is room to develop projects based on personal interests, and everyone gets to work together on projects.

Cons

There tends to be a lot of hiring and promotions based on personal connections and knowing people at the top. While there's a certain amount of that everywhere in DC, I feel like it's more prevalent at Media Matters and that harms morale sometimes. But I pretty much only have good things to say.

Advice to Management

Be more engaged with people at every level of the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Media Matters for America

1. "volunteer"

Former Employee - Editor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Editor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Media Matters for America (Less than a year)

Pros

They have great people. Nice manager.

Cons

There is no payment at all

2. "Work Hard and you'll go far"

Pros

There is a strong culture of promotion from within, so people who are dedicated and hard workers can often see rewards if they're willing to stick around. I found if you show them that you're putting in the effort to produce and improve they'll invest in you. They are extremely loyal and will fight for their workers; they are less good about communicating how hard they are fighting for you, though, which can lead to misunderstandings.

Cons

Long hours and turnover (particularly among the entry level jobs) leads to a lot of stress. There is occasionally an unwillingness to be upfront with people when the work they are producing isn't great, which leads to unhappiness as people don't understand why they didn't get a raise or promotion. I worked there for many years, however, and I can say that election years are the most stressful; on off years you have much more room to explore and try fun new projects.

Advice to Management

Better, consistent feedback for employees helps, and general communication overall. When one person gets promoted over another, give the full staff a story about why the person who was promoted really went above and beyond -- not everyone sees every piece of work or late night.