MediaNews - Used to be great! | Glassdoor

"Used to be great!"

Pros

Used to be great when it was Knight Ridder and up to the point we were bought by Singleton. The employees there are some of the best people I've ever worked with! Really good training program and they offer lots of classes! They are really trying to diversify into other products, so there is a lot to offer the customer. Really good team atmosphere and the Managers are definitely hands-on.

Cons

Upper management has chosen to have an adversarial relationship with the people below them, and the tone they set is negative and arrogant and is evident in every communication they have with us. A lot of pay cuts and job reduction where a lot of the staff is doing the job of what used to be 3 people. A lot of meaningless reporting and management seems to think when our revenue is low the best way to sell more ads is for us to do more reports. In most outside sales jobs management really pushes to get the reps out into the field to sell, but not here. I've never had so much reporting and paperwork that there are some days I literally can't get out into the field because I have to sit in front of my computer doing reports. Pay used to be good, but now you have to hit 95% or more of your quota or you don't make ANY commission. When you do hit your quota, the commission is still the lowest I've ever encountered. Management expects very long hours.

Advice to Management

Upper management and some of the admin support positions should treat the reps as partners and not as lowly subordinates who they can talk down to. Re-evaluate some of the processes. Don't let the departments that support the booking and creation of the ads inhibit the ads actually getting done. Definitely pare down the required reports. Change the pay structure or you're going to lose all your good reps. The economy may be bad but there's always positions out there for the good sales reps.

Other Employee Reviews for MediaNews

1. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaNews full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, knowledgeable people to work with.

Cons

Management can't stay focused. Ruthless -- even to each other.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say.

2. "Cash Applications Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at MediaNews full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The medical insurance benefits were good in 2016. The 2017 rates however were not.

Cons

The computer systems being used were many years out of date. Nothing is streamlined so there is a tremendous amount of time spent trying to make up for the shortcomings of the databases. There were no extra computers so that a broken computer could be worked on without disrupting the workflow. Management was lacking basic people skills.