Medical University of South Carolina - Company has a great mission, but is bogged down by state rules and bad long-term employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Medical University of South Carolina

"Company has a great mission, but is bogged down by state rules and bad long-term employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Medical University of South Carolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This hospital is truly changing what's possible in health care. There are so many doctors, nurses and researchers who are here because they chose to be here--many of whom cut their teeth at Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, etc. It's easy to buy in to the mission of MUSC.

Cons

As a state authority, MUHA (the hospital entity) gets to choose which state benefits it enacts and denies, depending on how it affects the bottom line. PTO, salaries, bonuses (ha), raises (ha again) and benefits are pathetic. We don't even get reimbursed for mileage when we drive to off-site work events. Also, too many leaders have been in their positions too long--and it's impossible to fire them, despite their poor performances.

Advice to Management

Review MUHA directors. All of them, but in particular those in Institutional Relations. Round with the employees they oversee and take the feedback seriously. I've never worked with so many managers/directors (many of whom are paid six figure salaries) who are so under qualified, over paid, and not held responsible for delivering results.

Other Employee Reviews for Medical University of South Carolina

1. "Networking Intern"

Former Intern - Networking Intern in Charleston, SC
    Former Intern - Networking Intern in Charleston, SC

I worked at Medical University of South Carolina as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. It was a great learning experience for me as a starting job. It was somewhere that I wanted to go every day.

Cons

As an intern upper management did not really care about me as much as I would have liked. I never really had room to move up in the company, and that seemed to be common.

Advice to Management

Move people up who deserve it.

2. "Learned A lot"

Former Employee - Intern in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Intern in Charleston, SC

I worked at Medical University of South Carolina part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and easy to work with

Cons

My position was just an internship so there wasn't much structure.