Medidata Solutions - Politics, politics, and more politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Medidata Solutions

"Politics, politics, and more politics"

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*If you get the right manager who chooses to ignore all the BS processes put in place, you can have a good experience there.

*If you were there before the big growth boom (aka: those who can rattle off their employee number and it's in the single-double digits), you were promoted throughout that time and are very happy there.

*If your title involves "Senior Manager," "Director," or "VP" (which you'll notice most all of the positive votes for this place have), you'll be very happy there.

*Great severance package! If you're trying to get out of there, see what you can do about leaving in a way to get one of those. They're quite amazing.

*If you worked in the right office, there were many social things (most not sponsored by the company, all involved employees chipping in a few dollars each and doing organization on their own) which were fun.

Cons

*No chance for growth whatsoever. During my time there (over 3 years), I watched the following happen:

1) Manager changed 3 times. Not a single time was anyone in my group even considered to be promoted to manager, despite multiple people being there for 5+ years and doing a very good job.
2) Groups which were basically directly above us either expanded or replaced people at least 7-8 times. I asked the manager of one of the groups what I would need to do to have a chance next time there was an opening. Over the next 1.5 years, I followed the list he gave me to a T, showed him what I did the next time there was an opening, and he asked, "Why did you focus on that? That's not what you need for this group." When I responded that it was because it was what he said was needed, there was no further questions or answers. I was just flat-out lied to, to get me off his back. That was the only time I saw anyone considered to move up, and of course then everyone else got mad at me for trying to move up at all.
3) The only person I ever saw move up into another group is someone who was a manager already in our group. Again, not a single person was ever even considered, while multiple people were brought in from outside.

*Politics. You're either playing the game or you're not. It would take too long to go through the stories, but everything you can imagine was involved: lying, backstabbing, sex, alcohol, drugs....it was like a modern day Game of Thrones, only with less incest.

*You will be lied to, and if you're not playing politics and are friends with the right people, nothing else matters. While trying to move up, I of course was trying to blow away any goal I was given, as to show I'm a good worker in general, while also showing interest and learning towards the job I want in the company. The result was management telling me that the work I did didn't really count, since it was so much some had to have been made up, while others, who did far, FAR less work, I was told were obviously doing more since they were in a busier office, and the work was just going undocumented. I tried that strategy next (not taking so much time to document, and instead focus on doing more work), and was then told that I'm obviously no longer doing much work, since there was little documented.

*You will be worked to death. I worked in a back-end supporting role while there. I saw the company grow well over 100 people during the time there. I saw our group lose a headcount and saw groups above us dump some of the more menial work on us at the same time. The result is adding more and more work onto our plates with no recognition, thanks, increase in salary, bonus, or any other incentive whatsoever.

*Frequent, expected, unpaid overtime. Again, with no recognition, thanks, or anything else involved. It is just expected at the lowest levels, while other than in sales, you will not see a manager work late, ever.

Advice to Management

1) Flatten the management, a LOT. There are far, FAR too many middle managers, all of which are perpetuating the awful environment there.

2) Promote from within. Not just a key person who has been playing politics. If there's an opening, give people within a chance to apply BEFORE outsiders.

3) Understand that if employees are asked to continue to do more and more, they expect recognition in return. It doesn't have to be monetary, but have some kind of rewards structure in place.

Other Employee Reviews for Medidata Solutions

"My interview experience was so positive I remember thinking I want to work here and with these people."

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuinely a great place to work. The company values it's employees and they do a fantastic job at attracting top talent. At Medidata you will work with a high caliber of people because they know where the company is going and they work hard because they have pride for their company. The executive staff believes in being transparent and having a friendly atmosphere. The dress code is very casual and the environment is motivational. Some positions are flexible with working remotely and that adds to the work/life balance being a core value for Medidata Employees.

Cons

There is nothing I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

No matter how big Medidata gets please keep this same environment because it's a pleasure to work in this environment with all the core values.

"Medidata Solutions NOT a good place to work!!!!"

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People at Medidata are friendly and I made some great friends there. Some people have the opportunity to work from home (that was not my experience) when they are not needed in the office. Competitive salaries and overall pay is decent. Rave is a great product and very nice to work with.

Cons

The more you give the company the more they want from you. Managers are not all open door policy, and they are looking at the bottom line and they don't care about their employees. I had a micro manager that is a total control freak. My manager would tell you what to put in an email and what to say to the client, because you are not competent to do it yourself. When not needed in the office we still have to be in the office, when we could perform our job from home. Expectations are crazy there and they continue to want people to know more and do more every time. Most of the people in the department leave because of this situation, yet higher management does not see this. I have to say that they are also very shady in some of their processes.

Advice to Management

To upper management take a really great look at your Directors and see the dead wood. You need to clean house! Some are just collecting a salary and do nothing....Tell them to go back to caring about your employees because they are your best resource, and spot always looking at the money!