Medidata Solutions - Super corporate vision with lots of pragmatism | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Medidata Solutions

"Super corporate vision with lots of pragmatism"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Salary doubled in 6 years.
 - Believe strongly in our mission for being an agent of change in the health sciences industry.
- Get to play with some exciting cutting edge technology and get recognized for innovations which help the company and/or clients.

Cons

- Senior management may suffer from extreme optimism which can lead to difficulty in facing uglier truths about organizational problems from time to time. But the seasonal house cleanings suggest when pushed they do face them.
 - HR doesn't mediate issues with direct managers, giving far too much authority to line-managers.

Advice to Management

Keep firing the directors who don't get the vision. Give a greater pool of proven employees discretionary expense accounts/budgets which they can use to fund improvements they believe valuable to the company.

Other Employee Reviews for Medidata Solutions

"Fantastic culture and commitment to the development of employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is making more investments to improve the employee experience. It has lavish parties, a swanky new office space with a roof deck, game room, and showers, has implemented a new employee stock purchase plan, and allocates a decent amount to professional development. Everyone strives to foster a hard-working, yet fun environment. I can always trust my peers to have my back. I am learning something new every day. It helps that my direct managers are excellent leaders and they always have their door open if I ever need career or any other kind of advice.

Cons

Depending on your department and the people with whom you work, your experience might differ. Sometimes it takes senior management a while to acknowledge it needs changes and also to reward you for your contributions. There does seem to be nepotism involved when people get promoted. In order to get ahead, I've only not had to work extremely hard, but also play the game to be noticed.

Advice to Management

Not everyone is a natural born leader. Some people have to develop their skills; others do not fit the mold. Take strides develop different career paths for leaders vs individual contributors. Put the right people in leadership positions so that they, their subordinates, and the company as a whole can flourish.

"Talks the talk, does not walk the walk."

Current Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior SQA Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is financially strong.

Great offices.

Good employees and professionalism.

Some of the best products in the industry.

I would keep buying their shares because of their position and prospects.

Cons

A bit too obsessed with the next greatest thing, should instead concentrate of core platform quality.

They're unable to replace their core product properly because they have said yes too many times to too many customers.

Few customers buy more than one product because they worry about lock-in.

Advice to Management

Stop running company Town Halls like a gameshow - realise that while money is important, the moment you bring out a giant cheque you pretty much embarrass those who work for you because they want to (as opposed to those who work for you for a salary).

Get a customer to worry less about lock-in by pushing more core IP to opensource. (this suggestion is free) - vendor lockin scares customers away.