Medifast - So much potential, and yet such a terrible experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Medifast

"So much potential, and yet such a terrible experience"

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intrinsic rewards of being able to assist people who truly want to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle.
Salary and benefits are acceptable, but don't outweigh the rest of the job.

Cons

The culture and values of this company may be summed up in one word: SALES. There are many in corporate management who will tell you that this company strives to be a "service oriented" organization....and they are full of it. The stress is always, always, always on sales, even to the disservice of potential and current members. There is zero work/life balance; also a reflection of the values Medifast has. If you are salaried, you will be expected and required to work weekends, late into the evenings, and your days off. The expectations of management are that you consider it to be completely normal to work like this, with little regard for anything else an individual might value outside of work.

The corporate office is utterly incompetent, unprofessional, and disorganized. "Conference calls" from upper management and supervisors are often impromptu, lacking in any sort of organization, direction, or outline prior to the calls. The recruiters will promise an absorbent amount of time off. However, you will be unable to take any of it, due to the center personnel structure of 2 or 3 people who must staff the center at all times. I have literally spent hours upon hours in an empty center simply because I am a salaried employee, yet am given an incredible amount of grief for attempting to work out a reasonable schedule or time off because of the low personnel structure the company has chosen. Again, this has to do with money (salaries, benefits and trainings required in hiring additional staff).

The company has experienced a serious amount of growth in the last year, in the form of opening quite a few new centers. This is incredibly poor business management, as it is evident that the company is a sinking ship, lacking the organization or ability to make a profit or stay out of the red. Nevertheless, they will continue to cut manpower and advertising to stay afloat, yet increase the stress, demands and expectations on a ridiculously small staff in each center. They will tell you that the lack of organization, lack of any sort of consistency in messages received from corporate down to national, regional, district, or center managers is due to alllllll that amazing growth. False. Read other reviews from the last two years. This company has never achieved the ability to create policies and procedures that stand through some of the changes, nor are they able to provide any sort of consistency or stability for employees OR members. There is no credibility to a company's supposed successful weight control program if it is constantly changing, the company is constantly back-peddling, or back-tracking on absolutely everything. This is evidenced by the astronomical turnover rate in employees/personnel.

All in all, hands down the worst career experience of my life. I wouldn't recommend working for MWCC to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

I think the above statements lay it out quite clearly. Management is in need of a serious reality check in all of the above areas. Consistency, organization, work/life balance, culture and values are extremely poor.

Other Employee Reviews for Medifast

"Run...Run very fast and far away! I'm telling you RUN!"

Former Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very few...maybe the health insurance and PTO this is a Company in serious financial distress and will never be a true competitor in the weight loss industry. How can they be honest with their members if they are dishonest with their employees?

Cons

In case you didn't catch the caption above...run for your life. Probably one of the worst experiences of my career. How the National Sales Manager continues to keep her job is beyond me. I can assure you corporate management would not last a week much less a day in a weight control center. Recruiters are not honest, layoffs are done via phone, commissions are non existent, the mentality that Gym rats make the best managers and sales force is a farce. No surprise most S Florida locations will start closing their doors very soon.

Advice to Management

Wake up! You made changes at the very top you need to look a little further under your noses starting at the Corporate office. I am forever thankful I no longer have to deal with Medifast but you need to know this company has devastated many people and lives that intrusted their livelihood. Eat well....sleep tight sweet Meredith.

"Intrinsic Rewards but a lot of turnover"

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with centers all over the east coast and Texas.
    Intrinsic value associated with product: seeing people achieve success and lead a healthier lifestyle
    Staff in my center consisted of very educated and amicable people
    Four weeks of training in order to gain product knowledge and sales knowledge

Cons

Lack of communication/support between corporate and centers.
    A lot of turnover due to lack of communication and organization
    Hire individuals that are overqualified for what the company expects and hence, undervalue their employees

Advice to Management

Provide the employees within your centers with more support and guidance.
    Allow them to utlize the skills and traits that they have aquired through education and experience
    Be more upfront about what you expect