Medtronic - Nice! | Glassdoor

"Nice!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

I worked at Medtronic full-time

Pros

Great to work with co workers at the other locations. Was able to travel to MN and meet them

Cons

New Management seems a bit disconnected

Other Employee Reviews for Medtronic

"Drove out the Sr HR VP"

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Saving lives, prolonging lives, always a great mission and this company makes a ton of dough.

Cons

Sr HR VP just left the company. Not sure what happened in this situation, but she was trying to make some necessary changes. She was intensely disliked, as an outsider, she challenged the status quo. Long-time staff and the good old girls/boys club will do anything to maintain status quo to keep their checks coming. Infrastructure is so bloated with VP's and Directors, I'm not sure how anyone is going to make necessary changes. Cult-like atmosphere and the mantra is stay below the radar, or you'll end up out the door.

Advice to Management

Eventually the stockholders will start asking the right questions, I hope you have the right answers. Stockholder value is depressed, it would be easy to figure out how bloated this organization is...how many VP's (all levels) and how man Directors (all levels) do you have? The ratio is rediculous. The travel budgets are out of control. Waste, waste, waste....

"Dedicated to Medtronic for 13 years"

Current Employee - Principal Project Analyst - Clinical Research in Mounds View, MN

I have been working at Medtronic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Medtronic stays true to its mission no matter what the costs to growth and profits. History and proven this to be a great plan which is why Medtronic is the world leader in Medical Devices. I have stayed at Medtronic for 13 years, dodging 5 layoffs, partly due to the commitment to the mission. There is a sense of pride knowing that what you do is impacting lives.

Cons

The market which Medtronic does business has changed significantly over the past 5+ years resulting in slower growth and substantial organizational change. Many friends and colleagues have been let go for this reason. I believe the global market will remain fairly flat so optimism for my career advancement at Medtronic is relatively low. Also, pay is not as good as it should be given the slower growth. Medtronic leadership has been changing in an effort to adapt to the new market, but the frequent re-boots have impacted moral.

Advice to Management

Stick to the plan our new CEO has presented to us and avoid frequent reorganizations. There is a need to repair the confidence employees have in company leadership.