Meijer - Good and bad, but more good. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

"Good and bad, but more good."

Former Employee - Stocker in Rolling Meadows, IL
Former Employee - Stocker in Rolling Meadows, IL

Pros

I was looking for a job that actually paid me(I had a job where I barely earned anything) and Meijer seemed like an obvious choice. The work itself was pretty easy. I worked for two different stores in two states. In Michigan, I worked for a feminist who I didn't get along with. In Illinois, I worked for a man who respected and and gave me preferential treatment. I got the most hours because of this relationship. The discount is alright but not spectacular. Job security is really good. I transferred from a store in Michigan to a store in Illinois and my store director made it completely painless and totally vouched for me without really even knowing me.

Cons

Pay is not great. You get small raises after working every 700 hours or so, but it seems like a long ways away at the time. Most Meijer stores are unionized and I don't really care for unions. Union dues take money out of your paycheck but you have the option of having the money you would pay in union dues to go to charity and not belonging to the union.

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

"It's not too bad of a job but there are much better retail jobs to work with."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington Township, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington Township, MI

Pros

- work is not exhausting or difficult
    - decent employee benefits
    - receive a reward for doing a good job

Cons

- schedules can be quite random and disorganized
    - only more senior employees get well organized scheduling
    - get written up for ridiculous and minor reasons
    - advancement can take a long time
    - poor management
    - job is very boring
    - very low pay at start $7.40

2. "They treat you ok in a physically demanding job, and would keep more good people if they paid a decent wage."

Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bagger in Lexington, KY

Pros

Management seems to care about their employees as a person - It seems like a large disjointed family, albiet family. They call you by name and seem to want you to succeed.

Cons

Physically demanding - the cashier job is actually 2 jobs as you are also the bagger. You are being timed as soon as the 1st item is scanned.The pay is $7.20 per hour and it certainly is worth much more. I have been told the turnover rate is pretty high. The Meijer" family image" is conflicting with what they pay you. It doesen't take a genius to understand that no person can live on $7.20 per hour.

Advice to Management

You have a good concept. You have some really good people working for you. If you paid enough to live on, you would have less turnover; and more loyal employees who would take pride in their work. Unless you are lucky enough to make it to a management position, truth is - you cannot live on what Meijer pays.