Meijer - A Learning Experience | Glassdoor

"A Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Service Worker
Former Employee - Service Worker

I worked at Meijer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let's just say it was a good learning experience. I learned about the ins and outs of retail and it is not glamorous. Basically, holding this position was motivation for me to go to school and graduate.

Cons

The pay is less than stellar, management was pretty lousy, and it was not a great place to work because of these things. At my store, the culture was not the best and it really brought the experience down.

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

"I was a disposable employee no matter how hard I worked to do my job."

Former Employee - Cashier- Gas Station
    Former Employee - Cashier- Gas Station

Pros

Meijer is a good place to work if you want to disappear into the crowd of other employees. You do get the opportunity to be pretty independent in meeting daily goals and setting your own pace. Another positive is the benefits package that is offered to both full and part time employees.

Cons

Like many corporations a lot of things and people get over looked. I worked the second shift and our manager expected us to do all the work for the day because she just goofed off with the employees on first shift and 3rd shift and entirely different tasks. If we didnt get our work and first shifts work done we would get in a lot of trouble even though it often times was way more than humanly possible with trying to help customers too. The biggest thing that got me was they refuse to make a schedule based on your needs and you only get to work one shift. All the people that have been there for ten years or more and refuse to work anything but first shift. Since the union protects these rules, it is almost impossible to move up with the company because positions for full time work rarely open up. I worked there for 6 months and was only getting 15 hours a week when i cant live off that. I decided to move on to another company because of how many people who had been there for year sometimes five or more and were still hardly getting over 24 hours a week. The company would rather just keep hiring more people so that it makez scheduling easier than to actually give employees the hours they need. Meijer also makes it very clear that they doknt accept people having second jobs and absolutely refuse to accomodate even if the second job doesnt conflict with their scheduling. As soon as you ask for certain shifts off, even leaving them a very flexible schedule still they will begin to schedule you on those days you requested off and work you shifts that you normally wouldnt work. Another major issue that I had was with the company's write up system. I have always strived to be an outstanding employee and I never had problems a work until coming to Meijer. I got written up for being late clocking in for a break because I was helping a customer and there was no denying it because i was on camera. There were many other examples of this happening to other employees and there are no exceptions to their rules even when it comes to helping customers. I guess they expect you to ignore all customers just to make sure that you clock in on time. They also were extremely strict on needing time off from work even though I only worked two shifts a week so it could easily be granted. I had two instances of situations that time off should have been granted and it wasnt. My manager wrote me up for taking the day off for my cousin's funeral and I finally put my two weeks in when I had to call in to work and let them know that I couldnt make it in because my basement was flooding which is also my bedroom. They actually told me that this wasnt an emergency situation and that i could call someone else to clean up while I work my shift. Which was funny because they dont consider anything an emergency situation. A coworker of was written up for needing to leave work in the middle of her shift because her underage daughter was in the hospital and had gone into labor. Another coworker actually asked what would happen if they had to take the day off because they have a diagnosed medical condition with their heart and they were told blatantly that they would still be written up for it. I have never worked for a company that cares so little for their employees because they can replace them in a heartbeat. I always made a point to complete more than what was on my daily goals sheet if I could manage it and never once was I given possitive reinforcement or shown any kind of appreciation for working hard. I was only punished when i was given a work load that included other people's uncompleted tasks and it wasnt possible to finish it in a days work. I know that this is not a Meijer that Fred would approve of if he was still alive.

"For minimum wage less union dues, it is not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice coworkers, nice management, better than WalMart. Whenever I needed time off, typically it was given to me.

Cons

After holidays, hours dramatically reduced. Worst part is that you are basically forced into the union, and they deducted $6.25 every week, despite the amount of hours worked. After holidays low seniority was getting 10-15 hours per week. If I worked 10 hours @ $7.50/hour that is $75 which makes union dues over 8% of net pay.

Advice to Management

It is a decent place to work. However, part time employees should not be required to be in the union, and should they elect not to be in the union, an equal amount of dues (or 85% if contested) should not be deducted from pay. When union dues are deducted from minimal pay, it give other minimum wage retail jobs a definite advantage.