Meijer - exhausting | Glassdoor

"exhausting"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is extremely hard to get fired. They are very flexible with your schedual. It's a great student job.

Cons

Very fast paced, don't feel appreciated at all usually, and there is a lot of heavy lifting. It can be hard on the back.

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

"Training is non-existent and always understaffed."

Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader in Oswego, IL
    Former Employee - Prepared Foods Team Leader in Oswego, IL

I worked at Meijer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stores are busy all of the time.

Cons

Impossible goals under impossible circumstances. Trying to run 2 depts is impossible and these depts are the hardest to operate. Upper mgmt even recognized that the job was impossible, but still expected perfection.
    Deli was always understaffed and customers would regularly leave before being served. Absolutely no training for management and upper mgmt expected Deli and Bakery to be in 100% order, even though I had only been on the job for 3 days. The laughable part is that these depts ran without a TL for almost a year and had gone through at least 4 TL's in 3 years before I was hired, yet I was supposed to fix everything instantly. There were too many projects that didn't contribute to sales at all and wasted more time than anything.
    Very poor employee morale. They never had enough help and were always being told to do more. Most just gave up and work very hard at not working. Consequently there is no respect for TL's from TM's. Many are determined to sabotage every new TL and have successfully help eliminate most of the 8 or 9 TL's that the store has employed. Upper management is quick to believe any lie they are told by TM's.
    Having to manage 2 depts is a joke with 28 mostly uncooperative employees, especially when there was absolutely no training in any store systems or company protocol and no one in the store who could or would help with teaching them.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to dept managers and their needs. Train your new employees, so they understand how to perform their jobs. I had a number of worthless employees who I tried to get out of my dept, but was turned down every time. These people are still at the store and still doing a poor job!

2. "Meijer is a discount grocery retailer. Nothing special here"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Meijer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is OK and very easy to get hired as very few want to work here.

Cons

Training is terrible and your schedule changes all the time. You work all the weekends and Holidays. Christmas Eve until 9pm. Vacations start on Sunday and end on Saturday. Very tight labor budgets. Managers are high paid grunts and need to work extra hours to keep up on paperwork and schedules

Advice to Management

You need to raise starting rates for Team Members to attract a better pool of talent if you want to compete.