Meijer - Coworkers are great, bosses not so much | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

"Coworkers are great, bosses not so much"

Current Employee - Stocker in Franklin, OH
Current Employee - Stocker in Franklin, OH

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly relaxed work environment. The managers generally do not micromanage unless it is very busy or they are pressured to (meaning corporate is coming in). You can clock in and out without asking permission ( just make sure you do so at the correct time or you get points!). You can take your lunch breaks and 2 15 minute breaks when you want as well. As long as you get your work done, you should be fine (but that is easier said than done). My coworkers are great though!

Cons

The scheduling is crazy! There are never enough people scheduled on the busiest days which leads to chaos. Then you get in trouble because you cannot complete your task on time. If you are on probation, you will get blamed for everything.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that can schedule! I understand that last minute changes are sometimes necessary (if a person calls off or if you expect that you will be receiving a large truck), but frequent changes make it a burden on everybody. We have a life too! At my place, you often end up with only 1 or 2 people in your area on busy days (which makes it hard to complete your tasks) and too many people on slow days (which means you finish hours early and have to spend time doing lame busy work. Lying about cutting peoples hours is unacceptable. Don't tell people that you are going to cut their hours only to have them work the same amount of time they usually do everyday (and then cancel their off days!)

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

1. "You have to learn to BS to upper management to be accepted."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Marion, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Marion, OH

I worked at Meijer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company itself is great to work for. They offer good pay and benefits for Team Leaders. They offer advancement opportunities to those who are wiling to drive or relocate.

Cons

The management in some stores doesn't create a positive work environment. Some Market Directors don't engage positively with their team leaders. Training is very lax.

Advice to Management

Make sure each and every person has the tools they need to do their job to the best of their ability.

2. "it is just a job, not a career."

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Highland, IN

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers are awesome. My team leader is awesome.

Cons

Managers are not in control of their own store, since there is a corporate answer for every move they make. This is sad that even the store manager is micromanaged. I felt stuck in my position and stalled in my learning. I dropped out of management and went back to college to retrain myself in another field.

Advice to Management

To corporate Meijer, have more faith in your store managers. They have good knowledge and know what is best for their store.