Meijer - Good but not a livable job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Meijer

"Good but not a livable job"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate/Distributor in Lansing, MI
Current Employee - Warehouse Associate/Distributor in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management seems to care about you and want you to do well (not a normal thing for Meijer in the stores but the warehouse is a bit different). The rate that one gets in a week is always posted on the following week so you know how well you did.. This coupled with the managers telling you that you did a good job when you make a good % rate is a good feedback system, and gives you some job satisfaction. Weekly meetings are helpful in letting the employees know what's going on. Job isn't too difficult. Can make a lot of money after being there for a couple years. Promotion of safety as number one is always a plus (they promote productivity but safety is always number one). Raises are very good. Every 400 hours results in about a 30 cent to 60 cent raise, which means you could get up to 5 raises a year if you are lucky. The longer you are there, the easier it gets.

Cons

Hours are a joke. It is next to impossible to earn full time status. Checks are about 1/3 the poverty level when you start ($140 a week at the average 24 hours a week). Second job is required for the first couple years of employment. That terrible pay is also the result of union dues taken out of every already low check. You could make much more working at Taco bell or McDonalds. Very hectic at first and hard to keep up with the weekly standards. Some people that they hire are very incompetent and don't care about anything but their rate.. even constantly not pulling their pallets leaving you having to do extra work and still make your rate. Point system is as ruthless as it gets. Most of the warehouses have much less satisfactory conditions then the one I am in but pay a bit more.. the freezer is the most extreme example.

Advice to Management

Weed out those that don't work hard and are selfish and only work for themselves. Give a livable amount of hours a week (at least 30). Don't have early out sheets every week unless you are only hiring people that live with their parents and use that job as a bonus to their allowance (or just a bonus to sort of pay for just a car). Most would be willing to work harder if the money was there.

Other Employee Reviews for Meijer

"It has been a very good learning experience in a field I have never worked in."

Current Employee - Bakery Team Member in Davison, MI
    Current Employee - Bakery Team Member in Davison, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After only 2 days of training, I was asked by my boss if I was ready to go it alone. I am already their main baker. I'm also being trained in other parts of the department. I believe my boss thinks I am capable to being promoted.

Cons

It is only part time and minimum wage. Must report to the department leader if you punch out 1 minute past scheduled time. It could be considered overtime and the possibility of being written up is a constant threat to have points added.

Advice to Management

Understand that with the amount of work that needs to be done, 8 hours a day is necessary to get the job completed.

"If you need to work at minimum wage and be managed by policy not by leadership then Meijer is the place"

Current Employee - Clerk in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Clerk in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Meijer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule if you like not knowing from week to week the days and hours you work then this could be a positive! If you like being managed by policy with the threat of termination then this too could be a positive. If like working for minimum wage with the above condition the Meijer is a great place to work.

Cons

Having given you the PROS here are the CONS:
    -Leadership in non existent
    -Managers are complete "yes men" with little if any backbone
    -Managers will do what ever it takes to get promoted
    -training that real job training is non existent leaving the new employee in a sink or swim mode
    -the PC training that is given is totally sleepy time
    -the Meijer Union is just that they are total "Yes Men" for the company and the employee pays
    $6,48 a week to the Union for this support
    -The "Friendly Meetings" are a joke they tell the employee everything they have to do and end the meeting with "If you do not like the job - there's the door, we have plenty of people waiting to come in"

Advice to Management

Not the top management will take advice their heads are not based in the reality of what is happening at the worker level. GET IN TOUCH WITH THE WORKERS not what the yes men tell you. Set up and use a suggestion program. provide real leadership and management training for your team leader and above.