Meltwater - Great Culture and Amazing Opportunity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Meltwater

"Great Culture and Amazing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a reasonably new employee to the San Francisco office and I'm very impressed. When I was interviewing I was captivated by the culture and smart people I met - and the job I was interviewing for seemed not only interesting but also challenging. Employees are friendly and welcoming and there's an incredible culture of hard work and drive to succeed and employees seem to have the correct level of autonomy to get their jobs done!

Cons

The office is very crowded and loud at times.

Other Employee Reviews for Meltwater

1. "Great place for self motivated, driven sales people!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meltwater hires sales associates right out of their undergraduate degree and gives them a chance to cut their teeth within the sales organization. Solid training, good mentorship. Great benefits and comp plan. Fun environment in a company that has great momentum.

Cons

Meltwater isn't the place for people that need a lot of hand holding or cheap props, but then, no sales organization is made for these type of people. There is some turnover, but it's the nature of the a sales organization that hires people right out of their undergraduate degree. Sales isn't for everyone -- but this place gives you a shot at being in sales with no prior experience.

"Great initial sales training, but prepare to be overworked and micromanged"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Meltwater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. This is a great opportunity for someone to learn the sales process from the ground up. It's a fast-paced and hands-on way to learn the basics of sales and negotiation. The people that will be teaching you are good at what they do and have a lot of sales-related knowledge to pass along in a short amount of time.
    2. There is the opportunity to earn A LOT of extra money, if you and your team are hitting quota.
    3. The job will make you appreciate any job you have in the future.

Cons

1. Your experience at Meltwater will depend heavily on who your manager is, and how experienced he/she is at managing others. If you end up with a manager who is less experienced, be prepared to be micromanaged. I found that managers who have been there for a shorter amount of time tend to be more centered on achieving their personal sales goals, as opposed to helping achieving their team/office goals.
    2. Expect to have very little work/life balance. Unless you are hitting quota, there is not much appreciation put into the work you are doing. You will work the minimum 8 hours per day in the office down to the minute, and be expected to work multiple hours per day outside of the office.
    3. You might not be totally comfortable with the way you are told to sell something, or how you end up closing a deal. There is a certain pushiness to the sales tactics that might make you feel like you are not doing the moral thing, this of course is dependent upon the type of person you are.
    4. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the atmosphere is "cult-like" but there is a definite persuasion to love, live and breathe everything that is Meltwater.

Overall, if you want to learn the sales process and have no previous sales training, this is a great company to spend a few months at, but don't count on it being long-term, as you'll most likely be burnt out before you can succeed.

Advice to Management

There should be some sort of feedback system for how employees are working with their office managers. Since most managers are promoted based on sales, and given no additional training a to how to manage, this often puts their subordinates in uncomfortable and unfair situations, with no senior management to speak to about it.
    Try to improve the work/life balance, or else you are going to burn out every employee that walks through the door.