Melwood Horticultural Training Center - If it wasn't for the economy I wouldn't be here. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Melwood Horticultural Training Center

"If it wasn't for the economy I wouldn't be here."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Upper Marlboro, MD
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Melwood Horticultural Training Center as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Location and the mission of the company.

Cons

Management is very disconnected from it's employees. Pay is horrible. Your input and opinion really don't matter.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horses!

Other Employee Reviews for Melwood Horticultural Training Center

1. "A Company That Truly Believes In Its Mission"

I have been working at Melwood Horticultural Training Center full-time

Pros

Every day, the work that I do helps to ensure that individuals with differing abilities have opportunities for employment and community services.

Melwood's many departments provide inclusive opportunities for the people who are served by its programs. The work we do is varied--whether you are in leadership or part of the staff, supporting the mission at Melwood can be challenging. It can be stressful, and some days are difficult--but unlike any other organization I've ever worked for, every day here there are real reminders of why we do what we do. At the end of the day, no matter what role you have here, you've made a difference to people's lives.

Melwood's leadership is committed to continuously improving processes, organizational structure, and corporate culture within each of its divisions. This is a company that embraces change and improvement.

Cons

Melwood is privately owned, but in many ways is like the government sites that we serve--there are regulations and rules that exist to protect the individuals served. Many people don't find this to be a con--but if you are someone who has trouble with following procedures, or embracing change as laws, policies, and rules change, then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Continue the work you've done over the past year to strengthen the infrastructure of the programs. Hiring and staffing well positions your programs for success and growth. Kudos for the corporate culture initiatives you've started. Melwood is an industry leader--the steps you are taking to make sure your employees are supported and valued are an important part of this effort.

2. "Excellent Career Choice, Excellent Mission"

Current Employee - Director of Marketing & Communications in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing & Communications in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Melwood Horticultural Training Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Melwood is more than an organization that provides job opportunities and supports for people with differing abilities. Melwood is a family. It is a community of people who come together every day to fulfill a bold and giant mission. It’s also an inclusive and diverse place to work. People of ALL abilities and demographics work side by side to create a world where people with differing abilities are fully included. Moreover, there’s potential for career growth. It’s rare to see an organization develop and carry out over 95%, if not more, of its strategic plan. What’s perhaps even more rewarding is working under a President & CEO who place great emphasis on quality and value, and that shares their vision for growth and success.

Cons

There are no true cons to working at Melwood. My best advice would be to come prepared to do great work.

Advice to Management

Continue providing an inclusive atmosphere where expertise and skill-set are valued. I believe that's the glue at Melwood.