Memorial Hermann Health System - It's a good hospital with a collegial atmosphere. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Memorial Hermann Health System

"It's a good hospital with a collegial atmosphere."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

It's a busy tertiary hospital and major referral center for stroke and trauma. We see complicated cases here so it's a great learning environment.

Cons

Like all hospitals, the management isn't the greatest. It's run by MBAs or former lower level practitioners who really don't understand the complexities of medicine which is frustrating as a physician. Also, the ancillary staff are not successfully incentivized so there is a high turn around we soon lose them once they gain enough experience.

Advice to Management

You need to incorporate physicians on the management level. Former NPs or PAs with subsequent MBAs will never truly understand the MDs perspective or the intricacies of medicine despite your fervent protestations. Therefore it is difficult to gain our cooperation or sympathies on difficult matters.

Other Employee Reviews for Memorial Hermann Health System

"Not a positive work experience if you are in Human Resources."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

A very proactive company that keeps up with the changing healthcare environment.

Cons

The employee bonus program is not meaningful and employee recognition is lacking. Professional memberships and education are not paid for.

Advice to Management

Make changes to positively affect the work environment. Take a closer look at system level executives and their turnover rates. Groups that are turning over there entire staff every two years should be looked at more closely. Obviously something is wrong.

"Disheartened"

Current Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clinical Social Worker in Houston, TX

Pros

The best part of my job is working in a specialized field with colleagues who are dedicated to the patients we serve. I also enjoy working with most physicians and nurses. Some are complete bone-heads, but the great ones outweigh the bad ones.

Cons

Dealing with Managers and Directors who are not engaged.

Year after year, we experience cuts and set backs, with the system taking more from our paycheck, and receiving less recognition or raises.
    I work in a specialized area, in which the system does not completely understand the work we do. Our management does not advocate voraciously enough for our department. As a result, the system regularly cuts our benefits, and now are requiring us to work more hours for the same pay. If it weren't for my colleagues and the work I perform, I would no longer be here.
    Management has forgotten how critical it is to take time in getting to really know their employees. we are not a for profit corporation. we are human beings who work in the service industry to help others. Yet, management has forgotten the importance of human connection, and make decisions based on review of a spreadsheet. Thus, making it easy to change schedules and cut staff, without considering the ramifications.

Advice to Management

Get to know your staff. Stop paying bucketloads of $$ to "consultants"- we direct line staff KNOW the answers to cost saving measures and how to fix the simple problems.