Memorial Sloan Kettering - Great place for cancer research | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Memorial Sloan Kettering

"Great place for cancer research"

Current Employee - Research Fellow in New York, NY
Current Employee - Research Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly world class hospital, providing state of the art care,
Cutting edge research in all departments,

Cons

On the research side, the relentless focus on cancer can become a little monotonous.
Crappy benefits for postdocs: eg. no 401(k) even after several years.
Daycare spaces are limited, which presents problems for academic staff.
Insufficient housing, especially for postdocs: currently limited to three years in MSKCC housing

Advice to Management

Keep it up, but pay attention to postdoc benefits

Other Employee Reviews for Memorial Sloan Kettering

1. "Where Did They Find All These Classy, Dignified Colleagues to Work With?"

Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers. Everyone here is so helpful, open, and friendly. As a new employee from a hospital where finger-pointing was commonplace, I was looking for my new coworkers "angle". The MSKCC staff I've met, from doctors to assistants, are all genuinely nice. How did they find them all in NYC? I'm born and raised in NYC, so I can say that -- we know many of us have short fuses and rough edges, but not here at MSKCC.

Cons

Salary. Prices are going up monthly on everything -- just go to the grocery store, look at your monthly bills, think about what you spend for lunch now for the same choices. MSKCC is on the low end of the pay scale and don't count on getting large raises/cost of living increases. What helps make up for it is the friendly culture and their flex time options like telecommuting and days off if you work longer days. They also have good benefits and improved their retirement plan for 2013 with more contributions from MSKCC -- so they are trying.

Advice to Management

1. Please conduct an in-depth review the staff salaries, especially being located in NYC. 2. RRL often has an odd sulfur odor in the lobby. 3. The main visitor waiting area (where the 2 escalators are) is getting shabby (ex: ripped seats) and dimly lit -- as the first impression of this world class hospital, it would help to renovate it to look like the attractive new inpatient floors which match the MSKCC reputation.

"Organizational Culture Barriers"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Memorial Sloan Kettering full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, tuition reimbursement, great health benefits

Cons

Difficult organizational culture between physicians and administrative professionals. Sometimes hard to break the mold from "the way we've always done it" to something that works better (administratively).

Advice to Management

Place more emphasis on building your non clinical staff.