Menards - Great family run business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Menards

"Great family run business"

Current Employee - General Office in Eau Claire, WI
Current Employee - General Office in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, always expanding, room for growth. Promote from within, performance driven. Management always open to new ideas, very approachable. Very good team environment.

Cons

Pay scale/benefits well-below norm for most positions at corporate office. Really that's the only downside that I have experienced while working here.

Other Employee Reviews for Menards

1. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Menards full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Menards is a very fast growing company. They are always looking for the next great management talent. I've been with the company less than 1 year and already been promoted twice.

Menards offers Instant Profit Sharing, which is paid once a year, and is a certain percentage of your total gross earnings from the previous year. the percentage increases every year, capping at 15%. Last year I only worked half a year, and at the lowest percentage (2.5%) received a $500 bonus. I'm more than half way to qualifying in 2013 already, and this year my IPS should be around $2000.

Also, great bonus opportunites for department and assistant department managers. Bonuses based on payroll, inventory audits, and overall sales in the department. Menards has great opportunities!

ALL employees are hourly, so you get paid for EVERY SINGLE HOUR you work. Also, $2.50/hr bonus on weekends.

Managers get to attend training at the corporate office once a year, fly on a small plane and stay in a hotel, all at company expense.

Cons

Long hours, especially during busy season. I'm averaging around 50 hours a week and we're not into the busy season yet.

Hourly rate is a little on the low side, especially for managers, but you make up for it in weekend premium and overtime.

Everything is recycled at Menards, so you don't always get "new" things. Also, everything is completed using pen and paper, there isn't much of an electronic record keeping system.

There is literally a policy for everything, and it MUST be followed, even if you don't know it exists.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job with creating a family culture within the stores. I wouldn't change much, except maybe less paperwork. Seems to be a lot of paper work.

"Job unhappiness directly linked to proximity to CEO's office"

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Menards full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with in my department were very nice, and we tried our best to make it bearable to work there.

Cons

John Menard micromanages to the point of interference, often in matters he does not fully understand. He opens (randomly) incoming mail to the General Office (all departments) and will demand answers to matters he knows nothing about. He treats some departments with contempt, often telling its employees the whole department is worthless. It is not an environment which fosters confidence and pride in one's work. It is a culture of fear and self-preservation.

Advice to Management

There is really nothing to say, as the problems begin and end with John Menard, and he will not change. Nothing will change until he retires (if that ever happens!).