Menards - Expect to work very hard!!! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Menards

"Expect to work very hard!!!"

Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Columbus, OH
Former Employee - Assistant Department Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great products and some great people.

Cons

Hours, expectations, crazy weight boxes on top of mega racking.

Advice to Management

A little sugar goes a lot further in motivating employees than a big stick.

Other Employee Reviews for Menards

"Shop? Absolutely. Work? Run."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wrote a lengthy review a while ago, but apparently I was too honest and it got deleted... This one will be far shorter.

Only pro: You can wander and chit chat with people.

Cons

By far the worst employment experience of my life. If you're thinking about getting a job there, run, run, run. Don't ruin your life.

- Managers don't know how to manage. At all.
    - GM's are completely worthless - They do NOTHING. Ever.
    - The hours are complete trash. Good luck having a social life. Or a life at all for that matter.
    - I could find more money in my couch cushion than the man that's worth $7 billion is willing to pay his employees.
    - You work a 12 hour day and only get a half hour for lunch.
    - 10-12 hour days are your normal work days.
    - Anything the guest wants, the guest gets. (If you want to shop there, do it. You'll get anything you want. Products discounted to at or even below company cost, free products, special treatment)
    - Guests are beyond rude; if you were in the electrical dept, they think you're a licensed electrician. If you work in the plumbing dept, they think you're a licensed plumber. Etc. And they will get mad at you for not knowing.
    - They come up with bogus excuses not to pay you your SPIFs that you EARN... I had to fight with them over $80. And they still wouldn't give it to me. Not that I even cared about the money, its the principle of it at that point.
    - I went through the Manager Trainee program, which is a paper-filled joke. Hope you like reading hundreds upon hundreds of policies for 3 months straight. Got offered a job upon passing all of my tests with flying colors, told the GM of that store that I know nothing about that department. To which he responded "that's fine, you'll learn." So I was hired on as that Assistant manager. Proves they hire managers and assistant managers with zero knowledge of products/departments.

I wish I could go on, but unlike Menards, I have a life and don't want to sit on the computer forever. Just wanted to save some people who read this, some time and sanity before applying for a job at Menards.

Advice to Management

- Learn your jobs. Do your jobs--CORRECTLY.
    - Start monitoring the GMs and what they do and DON'T do. They get away with murder and think they're king. Really? You're a manager at a Menards. You're nobody.
    - Actually pay your employees. They give up they're lives for you... I had my GM tell me, when I needed a weekend off for my BROTHER'S WEDDING, "when you work for Menards, Menards is your life. You become Menards. You need to get your priorities in line." Needless to say, I ended up taking that weekend off and being the best man in my brother's wedding anyway.
    - Quit treating employees like they're prisoners. The cameras should be used for security purposes. Not to spy on your employees... I had an Assistant General Manager talk to me about a female employee he's been "checking out" via the camera system, on a regular, daily basis because he thought she was cute. He was 36. She was a cashier... Still in high school... He actually ended up confronting her about talking to other guys from what he saw on the cameras. Disgusting.
    - Tell your GM's and managers to quit having physical relationships with younger employees/cashiers. It's all too common and disgusting. Especially when the male GMs and managers are married.

Last but absolutely not least, I'd say just do yourselves a favor; wipe the company clean and start completely over. Owning a company shouldn't just be about dollar signs (which Menards is). It should be about treating your employees right. Happy employees means happy guests, which would in turn, give you more dollar signs.

We'll see if this review gets deleted, too.

2. "Don't Expect Much"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Massillon, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Massillon, OH

I have been working at Menards part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$2.50 more on weekends, great for people with no kids or family, paid holidays for full time, advancements to other job titles, promoting from within the company

Cons

Lack of training, rude customers, no air conditioning, lack of hours, managers are sexist, everyone expects you to know what everything in the store does

Advice to Management

Don't hire more people while cutting current workers hours, install a tag-along program for the first week of hiring someone so they can learn, turn on air conditioning because hot customers equal rude/angry customers