Menards - Soul sucking... | Glassdoor

"Soul sucking..."

Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Saint Cloud, MN
Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Menards part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product and project experience.

Cons

Kills you a little every day.

Other Employee Reviews for Menards

"You have no idea..."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Eau Claire, WI
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Menards full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They can't legally force you not to quit:)

Cons

-They make ALL employees punch-in/punch-out, including bathroom breaks. Yes you heard that right, there is a gate to the bathroom that is activated by you punching out (depending on what office you are in).
    -The teams are divided into two camps 1) employees with a severe case of stockholm syndrome and 2) those planning their escape.
    -Turnover is so high that maintaining software is difficult due to the code-base being unusually fragmented and under-architected.
    -Pay and benefits are unusually terrible.

At the end of the day, a job is a job and if you need some experience you may be forced to work here. I would only recommend working here for the minimum amount of experience needed to go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, just don't be surprised by your high rate of turnover.

2. "Very Good pay but no time to enjoy it"

Former Employee - Receiving in O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Receiving in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at Menards part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay excellent for a job like this. They let you have as many hours as you want part-time or full-time. Easy to be promote and rather quickly. Some pretty friendly department managers and cool co-workers. Good place to work if you don't have a college degree and you want to work and work a lot. Pretty easy to get hired here as well if they call you for an interview that pretty much means you're hired on the spot if you don't do drugs.

Cons

Very very strict rules. General managers are kind of rude and they talk behind employees back. As easy as it is to get hired here its just as easy to get fired and once you're fired you can't ever come back no matter what the reason was or how good of a worker you were. So many people I worked with here is no longer there because they fired them all. Depending on what department you are in this could be a great job or a horrible job. Lastly I would not recommend to a person that is currently in school to work here. It takes up so much of your time you will not have any time to study or much of a social life.

Advice to Management

Good job over all just need to loosen up a bit on the rules. I was literally fired here over a misunderstanding and can't come back because I was fired. I honestly think you guys are being a little too strict on your employees this a hardware store not a government facility.