Mercer - Great company to work for! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mercer

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great company culture.

Cons

Comp and advancement can be slow.

Other Employee Reviews for Mercer

1. "Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay is average
    great work life balance
    ok management

Cons

very bureaucratic
    tough to use vacation

Advice to Management

Cut down on all the bureacracy

"If you need the job go for it, but don't expect to be happy or treated like a human."

Former Contractor - Participant Services Representative in Norwood, MA
    Former Contractor - Participant Services Representative in Norwood, MA

I worked at Mercer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- You're going to get a lot of good job experience.
    - In general the people working there are intelligent and pleasant enough to be around.
    - Cafeteria is pretty good I guess, if a little over priced.

Cons

- You will never get any real feedback as to how you are doing, even if you ask.
    - If you're starting as a temp you have ZERO job security. I was called by my temp agency 5 minutes after leaving work and let go after working there for 8 months of never calling out, being up-trained, coming in during hurricanes and blizzards and doing my job pretty darn well. The only explanation given to me was that they were "ending a project". Yeah, right....
    - The amount of clients and plans you are supposed to answer is ridiculous. There has to be at least 50 for health and benefits alone. They scold you if you give out incorrect information, but then turn around and punish you for taking the time to check your resources to make sure you're giving the correct information. No win scenario.
    - You will be overworked and underpaid, and good productive employees routinely disappear without any explanation.
    - At the management level, anyone with any level of competence or human decency either leaves or is let go.
     - They will ask you to give your opinion and If you try to offer any sort of objective constructive criticism you will be scolded and essentially told that things are just the way they are and you need to deal with them. I honestly think that professionally and politely trying to voice my concerns a couple times was the real reason they let me go.

Advice to Management

I honestly can't say that the management functions in any rational manner. People without social skill and any real talent are promoted. Upper management is continuously trying to expand it's client base without increasing it's workforce, forcing existing employees to take up the slack and deliver poor service to it's clients. If Mercer hasn't lost most or all of it's clients and is still around in another 5 years I will honestly be shocked.