Mercer - Wrong place to start an actuarial career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mercer

"Wrong place to start an actuarial career"

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mercer full-time

Pros

Actuarial study and compensation program is average

Cons

if you're an actuarial analyst, be prepared to be assigned to an overwhelming amount of clients where your skills are never used (Apparently, other Mercer locations actually have actuaries do actuarial work and their employees are happy).

Advice to Management

Take a lesson from other Mercer locations and assign people to roles they were actually hired to do. Use common sense!

Other Employee Reviews for Mercer

"Taken for Granted"

Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Participant Services Representative in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a call center worker at this company, what I can tell you is that this will become a golden star on your résumé. Depending on your attitude and your willingness to adapt, you can gain skills and character that become indispensable. You learn from supervisors that hold their own during heated calls. And you learn from that. Your colleagues--the ones that brave the same storm you brave--share in learning; they are right there with you and many are happy to help guide you. The callers will make your day if you are efficiently trained. IF you are trained.......:

Cons

......which leads to the cons. Training is really one of the companies broken wheels. They spend so much time on days and days worth of training toward client bases and LOBs that are never guaranteed. I'm lucky to be part of a fixed client base. But sitting next to other PSRs that take on 20+ clients and are forced to be trained on LOBs after only 2 days and to be on the phones after? What a nightmare. What a way to truly de-value an individual. After a year of being here I can tell you there's a lot of politics. And while I mentioned the management is inspiring when they are steering escalated calls, they are completely clumsy in training and reinforcing. There have been so many bright contractors I've seen with their potentials being tapped, but before they are fully realized higher-ups fuzz out that brightness with last minute LOB changes and unhelpful PowerPoint presentations. When a manager says that they are thankful for your work, caution: it really is code for "I've realized your capacity to be taken advantage of. And to tack onto your workload, I expect you to take on more clients with only 2 days training and stay in your stats while juggling redundant out-dated programs that crash all the time" Endurance of incompetence is a hidden gold star.

Advice to Management

Support your lowly contractors and do not keep throwing them for a loop. Individually make time for them. This is coming from a full-timer that empathizes for their experience. They are already underpaid and devalued enough.

"Expect long hours year round."

Current Employee - Client Services Team Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services Team Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mercer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for getting foot in door and experience to go elsewhere. Office environment and management are great. Good people to work with all around.

Cons

60 - 80+ hour work weeks consistently. No work life balance. Support teams are spread thin and do not help make your job easier. Systems are subpar and create major issues regularly. All these create high turnover that cause more work for those that stay. No job training. Sink or swim for team leads and analysts. Chances for advancement are minimal. You have to go elsewhere to move up and get pay deserved in regular time frames as elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Invest in system tools and more people to assist with OE and support.