Merck - Very unappreciated | Glassdoor

"Very unappreciated"

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Millsboro, DE
Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Technician in Millsboro, DE

Pros

Benefits are ok, for the eastern shore pay is above average,I really wish I had more positive to say on behalf of the company

Cons

Very unappreciative site management, continual expectation to do more with less, people, equipment, even basic tools and supplies. Excessive work schedule due to severe under staff conditions. No chance for advancement no matter how hard you work or schooling you complete. School very difficult due to 55-65 hour work weeks.

Advice to Management

Please quite treating your most important assets, your people, as liabilities. Give us an opportunity to really show you what we can do, then at least tell us when we have done well and give us the opportunity to advance and grow. Quite the do as I say not as I do attitude, and treat us like adults.

Other Employee Reviews for Merck

"Great to Poor Experience..."

Former Employee - Executive Director in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Broomfield, CO

Pros

Pay- compensation has been greater than other industries at comparable levels and lots of good, smart people working at Merck...trying to do the best they can

Cons

Unfortunately the Pharma industry is under significant pressure from Wall Street, Main Street, media, patent expiree, etc...so consolidation, reductions, reduced benefits will continue for foreseeable future...not a stable company or industry for long term career opportunities...the people that succeed are those who play the political game and manage up well...

Advice to Management

Good old boy (and gal) club continues - same leadership they just move around who sits in those chairs - you would rather hire an average someone you know for the past 20 years than risk taking a chance on new people with different perspectives and mindsets...only seem to hire people that have similar backgrounds than they do...little or no formal executive development.

"An elephant learning how to dance. No Fred Astaire."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Summit, NJ

Pros

Flexibility of work hours, decent benefits, peer support and collaboration.

Cons

No stock employee purchase plan, no stock options until Director level, mediocre salary & merit raises, lots of lip service to behavior changes, yet little reality, low opportunity for growth (the legacy ol' boys club ain't going anywhere),

Advice to Management

Walk the talk