Merck - A good company | Glassdoor

"A good company"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Research Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Merck full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people with a focus on the science, and a can do attitude that get projects from "well can this work?" to a final answer. Also, business decisions made by management are implemented quickly, and efficiently with a view towards practicality and reasonableness. Also, the management team explains the purpose of their decisions and what the expected outcome for the company is intended. Top-to-down communication from management team is, in my experience, unparalleled and I know what was going on in other parts of the company on a day to day basis.

Cons

The demand for data is so driving that many of our project due dates seemed to be due the day before we received the project of which always put a great deal of pressure to produce hard data fast which can and did lead to mistakes which caused delays.
Also, though upper management was very good at information distribution, local management wasn't as forthcoming and so often times we knew what was going on in the greater company more than we did in our own site.
The last is that unless you have a Ph.D. career advancement opportunities at this company are minimal.

Advice to Management

Communication is fantastic from upper management, but local management needs to improve their communication distribution to the same level

Other Employee Reviews for Merck

1. "Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in West Point, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in West Point, PA

I have been working at Merck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible work schedule.

Cons

Performance and reward is offend times not correlated appropriately.

Advice to Management

I would recommend management have a renewed focus on employee development and mentorship.

2. "Interesting research, good science culture, not such great social culture"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Rahway, NJ
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Rahway, NJ

I have been working at Merck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Science culture is very strong (I work in R&D)
    -Very smart people and generally good management (at least in my dept) that allows you the freedom to operate and design your own experiments.
    -Great benefits and salary is pretty good too
    -Relatively high departmental budgets that let you buy new "toys" when you need them.

Cons

-It's a HUGE company and that slows it down (red-tape, management decision making is slow)
    -Although good science is done, there is a serious fear of change,especially since merger
    -Merck as a company does not handle layoffs very well: very little transparency
    -Bonuses are given at random with no meritocracy
    -Practically no social culture (the company even admits that in its internal scorecard)

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and flexible. Adapt or die.