Merck - Satisfied DDO Chemist | Glassdoor

"Satisfied DDO Chemist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

I felt Merck was a great place to work for a bachelors level scientist where associates were treated with a high level of respect. Though the typical glass ceiling existed for associates ideas and input of associates were well heard among PhD's and project support was encouraged. .

Cons

My only issue would be career opportunities outside of the lab were not very available and the path was not encouraged leaving only one place for associates to go when they hit the ceiling, which was to leave

Advice to Management

Acknowledge talent, foster it within the company thinking of the good of the company not just the good of your department. Managers want to keep good people in their department and when they grow beyond that they have no choice but to leave to further their career.

Other Employee Reviews for Merck

1. "Common knowledge"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

Name recognition of the company. Has numerous products in various disease state, gives you many areas to transfer for promotions. State of the art computer technology.

Cons

Large company with many reps in same territory. May find yourself tripping over each other in physician's offices. This could cause "overkill".

Advice to Management

As with any large pharma company, decisions or direction of sales does not seem to match the needs of the reps that our out in the field.

2. "Shering-Plough"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Union City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Union City, NJ

Pros

Location across the bridge from Manhattan. The pay is very good however. The company was recently purchased by Merck. It maybe a risky time.

Cons

Very expensive housing, I found my 2-br apartment for $2000/month. The company was recently purchased by Merck. It maybe a risky time.

Advice to Management

this is not my area of expertise. I am not sure. The company was recently purchased by Merck. It maybe a risky time.