Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa - Wolf in Sheep's Clothing | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa

"Wolf in Sheep's Clothing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonable salaries, wages and benefits. Generous PTO, competitive pay, many optional benefits to take advantage of. Sometimes promoting from within is not the best for the organization.

Cons

Executive management does not have patient's best interests at heart. It seems beating the competitor is more important than enhancing the excellent care certain departments offer.

Advice to Management

Focus less on competition and more on patients. Be more genuine and more accessible to all employees. Be less concerned with status and more in touch with customers.

Other Employee Reviews for Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa

1. "Good place to work but a lot of challenges in the ED with contract doctors."

Current Employee - Care Coordination in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Care Coordination in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mercy is not affiliated with any other Mercy hospital in Iowa so if you are unhappy you can't transfer to another hospital. Good place to work with fair but not great salaries. Salaries are competitive only to the CR area and does not include Iowa City. Great staff but ED doctors can be a challenge to work with. ED doctors don't listen to the advice or concerns of staff.

Cons

ED doctors are contractors and are not employed through Mercy. This makes it a challenge for these providers to participate with the Mercy Touch and core values. They only care about their bottom line: their pay at the end of the day and to push as many patients through as possible to get their bonuses. Bonuses for ED providers are based on how many patients they push through to the ED. Very little time is spent on actual problem solving for patients and their families versus pushing them through to observation status or out the door. Nurse can be cliquey. Many staff use the ED as a stepping stone for experience out of school and then go to UIHC.

Advice to Management

Please hire the ED providers as Mercy employees so they have an actual stake in the Mercy system.

"Good Intentions"

Current Employee - Pct in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Pct in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Mercy Medical Center Cedar Rapids Iowa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've met a ton of great people that I am friends with outside of work, often a lot of teamwork, people actually care about their patients. Those with more training will gladly teach new skills, and you can attend workshops for new training easily.

Cons

With the dawn of EPIC (charting systems) there have been a lot of cutbacks - raises don't happen, good patient care supplies are switched for bad ones that are cheaper, etc. A lot of turnover - I don't know 90% of the floor I started on in the past two years! I really have a hard time stomaching the drama, as well as picking up the slack of dragging coworkers. A lot of your happiness will depend on the floor you work on. Also there have been shortages in staff. I've worked on floors with dangerously low staffing, I was actually uncomfortable with it. Oh and one reviewer said there's an onsite gym? Yeah we call that the fitness closet. Not a gym. A tiny room with a dual corner cable machine and some cardio equipment. It's not really a con but it is not a gym, sorry.

Advice to Management

They come off as really not appreciating the entirety of the work of the floor staff (nursing, dietary, housekeeping, etc) and it shows through pay and staffing. Listen to your employees - send out a survey on what would make them happier maybe!