Mercy - Family away from family | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mercy

"Family away from family"

Current Employee - Staff Nurse
Current Employee - Staff Nurse

I have been working at Mercy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel a part of a team, all working towards one goal rather than pulling against each other. New technologies and practice theories are present often.

Cons

As with any place that has 24 hour availability, animosity between shifts can be present. With all of the new practices and technologies, it can occasionally seem rather disorganized.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the shared governance! It is awesome to have a say in how things are done and how our patients are cared for.

Other Employee Reviews for Mercy

1. "Awesome"

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and willing to help out in anyway possible. As a clinical student that was hired after graduation, my experience was awesome.

Cons

The hospital is a bit large for my taste, but there are no other cons that I can think of...blah blah blah

2. "Keeps you busy"

I have been working at Mercy full-time

Pros

Job security, mission of the hospital is great, generally down to earth caring, hardworking people to work with. We generally all realize the demands of our jobs and i can honestly say in my immediate area there are no weak links.

Cons

Allocation of funds within the hospital is focused toward places patients see, and shunted away from areas where patients don't normally go. This is ok for now, in order to grow the hospital and its reputation, but sometimes I feel like certain areas of the hospital are kind of forgotten just because patient's don't see it.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees on concerns of safety and work environment problems or issues. Alot of pertinent requests and concerns go unanswered for months because they are not directly related to patient care, even though they indirectly affect the quality of care received and directly affect the morale and fatigue level of co-workers. Understand that employees can't be worked to the very core of what the 'numbers' say they can do, we are not machines or computers, just human who are trying their best. The 'productivity' outline that management lives by does not take into account daily struggles like co-worker fatigue, emergencies, etc. Sometimes it feels like we are wrung dry with expectation balanced against the resources and sheer manpower (mostly lack thereof) that we are given to work with. It's a problem that could lead to fatigue, which leads to mistakes. The reform and Medicare funding hanging in the balance is a huge deal, we agree, but it should not come at the cost of quality of patient care or cost of running coworkers literally into the ground while you guys sit in your office and play with numbers, much like one cannot squeeze blood out of a turnip. These are patients and they need the best care, and we can only do that with adequate resources.