Mercy - N/a | Glassdoor

"N/a"

Pros

Christian environment to work in is nice

Cons

Staffing issues/concerns with new staffing grid

Advice to Management

N/a

Other Employee Reviews for Mercy

1. "This is a very mission-oriented organization and a great place to work."

I have been working at Mercy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many long-term employees throughout Mercy. The organization really strives to be on the cutting edge of business while staying true to its Christian mission.

Cons

Being a not-for-profit, there are always challenges with resources, staffing, and structure. The work is often long and stressful, but it is also rewarding.

Advice to Management

More focus on strategic succession planning and culling ineffective leaders.

"The "Palace on Ballas" has been torn down by Mercy"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Because of constant building Mercy is up to date looking throughout the entire hospital. Private patient rooms are great pluses for staff, too. They invest in the newest high tech equipment which is wonderful. Machinery is top notch & always working. (although sometimes not always enough to satisfy high demand for them).

Cons

Continually taking away from employees what was earned. ie I worked at Mercy since early 1970s. We were given bonus vacation days based on yrs of service--taken away. We earned time & a half with union & although promised they wouldn't take away items earned they did. In 2012 overtime became $5 or less. Poor overall attitude toward employee retention. Cheaper to hire new grads. HORRIBLE YEARLY MERIT RAISES. The more property Mercy purchased the worse it became for ALL staff. Newspaper article reported upper management @ COO, CFO, etc levels given HUGE yearly raises. UN-Merciful was commonly heard chant.

Advice to Management

Spend a LOT more time on the floor & in dept. Obviously they must attend a LOT of meetings however I had a recent manager who came to help out staff whenever our dept was 'crazy'. We really respected her & appreciated these efforts. After she was 'let go' the new manager spent all her time in the office only appearing to give new employee prospects a tour. My dept became very cliquish. Younger nurses standing far too close to pt rooms & talking about how intoxicated they were the previous weekend. Texting at work was a real problem even though forbidden--discipline was too casual & meted out based on friendship with clinical supervisors. Younger & younger managers & clinical supervisors without guidance from older nurses with more life experiences equals disaster. (In my opinion at least--there was NO one over 32 or 35 at the oldest ). In other words, you could advance if you were friends with the right people....