Mercy - St. John's (Mercy) Springfield, MO | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mercy

"St. John's (Mercy) Springfield, MO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful foundation with mission, vision and values standing for many, many years. Faith based. Great front line staff - high quality, knowledgeable and compassionate.

Cons

Have totally started devaluing long term employees that have remained loyal and steadfast for many, many years. They now look at this population as a liability due to higher salaries. Have had several layoffs/reduction in force over the last few years and have cut several wonderful, high performing staff. Since current CEO has been in place profits have dropped significantly and the individual community spirit (at the separate locations) is gone.

Advice to Management

Remember what makes Mercy great - the staff and the faith based values that many actually believe in as well as live by - not Sr Mgmt.

Other Employee Reviews for Mercy

1. "Mercy is truly a wonderful, caring and compassionate organization. I feel blessed to be part of this team."

Current Employee - Director, Health Information Management/Privacy Site Coordinator in Mountain View, MO

I have been working at Mercy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many reasons that I feel Mercy is an excellent company, however, I will just list a few. #1, they are caring about the patients but also very dedicated to the staff and encourage a positive growth oriented environment; 2, they listen; 3, Both motivation and drive are encouraged and you can be involved in as much of the organization as you want, 4, they strive to advance forward in all realms of healthcare, including virtual medicine, EHR growth and Patient Information.

Cons

I really cannot think of many CONS other than like all jobs the pay is equitable but never enough, yet when looking at healthcare as a whole, and comparing to other organizations, Mercy is competitive, especially for the rural communities.

Advice to Management

Just continue to listen to the coworkers and communicate the growth within the organization.

"The "Palace on Ballas" has been torn down by Mercy"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Mercy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Because of constant building Mercy is up to date looking throughout the entire hospital. Private patient rooms are great pluses for staff, too. They invest in the newest high tech equipment which is wonderful. Machinery is top notch & always working. (although sometimes not always enough to satisfy high demand for them).

Cons

Continually taking away from employees what was earned. ie I worked at Mercy since early 1970s. We were given bonus vacation days based on yrs of service--taken away. We earned time & a half with union & although promised they wouldn't take away items earned they did. In 2012 overtime became $5 or less. Poor overall attitude toward employee retention. Cheaper to hire new grads. HORRIBLE YEARLY MERIT RAISES. The more property Mercy purchased the worse it became for ALL staff. Newspaper article reported upper management @ COO, CFO, etc levels given HUGE yearly raises. UN-Merciful was commonly heard chant.

Advice to Management

Spend a LOT more time on the floor & in dept. Obviously they must attend a LOT of meetings however I had a recent manager who came to help out staff whenever our dept was 'crazy'. We really respected her & appreciated these efforts. After she was 'let go' the new manager spent all her time in the office only appearing to give new employee prospects a tour. My dept became very cliquish. Younger nurses standing far too close to pt rooms & talking about how intoxicated they were the previous weekend. Texting at work was a real problem even though forbidden--discipline was too casual & meted out based on friendship with clinical supervisors. Younger & younger managers & clinical supervisors without guidance from older nurses with more life experiences equals disaster. (In my opinion at least--there was NO one over 32 or 35 at the oldest ). In other words, you could advance if you were friends with the right people....