Meredith Corporation - Internship experience was great, trying to get on full-time is another story... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Meredith Corporation

"Internship experience was great, trying to get on full-time is another story..."

Current Employee - Editorial Intern in Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Editorial Intern in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-business casual dress code
-friendly staff for the most part
-lots of fun company events
-overall workplace culture

Cons

Not many, other than the fact that I've been trying to land a full-time position for the past four months with little luck. I completed an editorial internship at Meredith last summer, and current employees have told me that gives you an upper hand against others applying for the position. After three interviews for three different positions and no offers yet, I'm having a hard time believing this.

Other Employee Reviews for Meredith Corporation

1. "a place to settle in--if you don't get laid off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Meredith Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at two Meredith magazines in Manhattan and both offered good work/life balance, reasonable hours and a low-key office environment. Best suited to those who value comfort at the office and put family before work.

Cons

Lots of mediocrity and folks who hang on to their jobs forever. That said, you never know when the ax is going to fall. There've been three rounds of layoffs in my three years with the company. Very awkward coordinating workflow with Des Moines. Worst human resources department I've ever encountered. Not a good match for very ambitious or creative people.

2. "Prioritize the work place culture and people over the name of the magazine!"

Former Intern - Fashion and Beauty Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Fashion and Beauty Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Meredith Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

+ as an intern at meredith, you feel like you are a part of the team. You are given special projects and sometimes will get bylines or reviews on the website or in the actual magazine
    + they like to hire people who have interned for the corporation
    + the people are really kind and considerate, and it's an all around positive work environment
    + they are generally conscious of your needs and wants as an intern, and will send you to events, photo shoots, pr sit ins, and the lot. You also get to attend weekly meetings with the whole staff and you also get an opportunity to watch the editor in chief critique certain stories for the magazine
    + the beauty sales! Every month, like clockwork, they would have a beauty sale where one of the mags would empty their beauty closet and sell each item for a dollar. Not why I interned, but certainly a great thing if you like makeup!
    + the intern program is great, and you get to watch intern speeches and go to little events put on by hr. in retrospect, i would go back to this company because it was just that great.
    + great, nurturing environment, with a lot of respect for your personal time and efforts!

Cons

+ unpaid
    + a little gossipy
    + who you know is definitely a thing, but what corporate job isn't like that?
    + no real career openings or opportunities
    + print is dying

Advice to Management

compensate your interns or at least pay for their transportation. Other than that, you're doing great!