Merkle - Smart and Talented People/Executives Lost in the Digital Wilderness | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Merkle

"Smart and Talented People/Executives Lost in the Digital Wilderness"

Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surrounded by outstanding and smart people
Great client list
Young, driven, fun culture
Smart and capable CEO that employees like and relate to.

Cons

Executive team doesn't truly understand digital and keeps looking for a savior from the outside
Frat culture where you're either part of the frat or an outsider
Too much turn over of talented people
Mgt doesn't want to trust the execs it hired to run the business and they get discouraged and go elsewhere
Not much diversity amongst Sr leadership team.
Co-Presidents that hinder rather than enable business
Company has been nicknamed WERKLE and for good reason.

Advice to Management

Find good people and set them free to run the business without perpetual meddling from Curley and Mo (Co-Presidents)

Other Employee Reviews for Merkle

"Welcome to the mind of a meandering drunk"

Former Employee - Email Marketing Area in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Email Marketing Area in Denver, CO

I worked at Merkle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As others have said, there are truly some special people that work at the company. I did enjoy the people I met, and continue to be friends with several of them.

The client list is impressive.

Start drinking at 10:30am

Cons

Management really doesn't follow through on their stated intent of fostering a place people want to be.

The company doesn't leverage the expertise it has hired in a number of areas to move the clients (and the company forward).

Ridiculous internal games meant to help business lines meet their numbers so the former owner can get their bonus payout trump any real regard for doing right by the client.

Start drinking at 10:30am

Advice to Management

I always felt like David was selling to us, not providing leadership. Almost felt like a cult. Not sure if he has ADD, but with all the changes in direction and priority, it at least feels like a lot of key decision makers are drunk most of the time.

"There is a lot of opportunities."

Current Employee - Technology in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Technology in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Merkle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Merkle’s position in the marketplace gives it a greater advantage over traditional technology companies. Having worked at other technology companies, Merkle is able to truly help companies make money with the solutions it provides. I believe Merkle is in a place to be as large if not larger than other marketing services providers, and I enjoy being part of this. There is quite a bit of freedom, but there is an expectation that you will excel at what you do and go above and beyond in your normal duties. Due to this, you find that Merkle has hired a lot of very smart people whom are focused on driving the business forward. I have been happy with the opportunities at Merkle.

Cons

Merkle’s driven culture does lead to strains on Work/Life balance, especially in areas linked to client implementations, but I have yet to work at a place where this is not true. Due to some fluidity in the organizational structure and a highly driven workforce, sometime the set corporate strategy is not well translated to specific activities for the more focused areas of the organization. New understandings about market trends can get clogged at a senior management level and do not filter down quick enough to bring the rest of the company into the light. This can lead to some disconnects in the story.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, but do more to bring the rest of the company in line with the vision.