Merrill Lynch - The people and culture at Merrill are both industry-leading. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch

"The people and culture at Merrill are both industry-leading."

Former Employee - Private Wealth Management Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Private Wealth Management Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Merrill Lynch part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I would say the people. I have spoken with Merrill employees who have left Morgan Stanley and Goldman simply because the culture is so much friendlier.

Cons

People who go into finance just for prestige will find it, though not to the same degree as at Goldman or MS. Your friends will still be impressed, don't worry.

Other Employee Reviews for Merrill Lynch

1. "Know what you're getting into"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hopewell, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Hopewell, NJ

I have been working at Merrill Lynch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Powerful wirehouse, even after the BAC merger
    Depth of product knowledge demanded is impressive, even among lower-level producers
    Culture is one of high performance, like it or not

Cons

Performance means you sell. Eat what you kill, for all the good and the bad that entails.
    BAC merger is disappointing- culture of the bull is being "bank-ified."
    For new Financial Advisors: do not whine the "they only want you to bring in accounts for senior brokers" or "they don't give you accounts"; work hard and build your book
    Merrill Edge enterprise is not a path to advancement within the firm; environment is very political

Advice to Management

Merrill Edge: Stop promoting those you like and start working with your top candidates on real career paths.
    GWIM: Consider apprenticeships for new producers while maintaining hiring standards; sink-or-swim isn't helping anyone.

2. "Financial Services Intern"

Former Intern - Financial Services Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Intern - Financial Services Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Merrill Lynch as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with knowledgeable team that helped me develop my education through an exciting and interesting internship. I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone interested in working in financial services in the future.

Cons

Getting your foot in the door in financial services can be tough and this internship, while interesting and fun, will not guarantee you a future position with the company.

Advice to Management

Work on fostering a friendlier atmosphere in the office. My team was very outgoing and upbeat but there always seemed to be a cloud hanging over the office.. having a competitive drive is useful only to a certain point and then it becomes a detriment.