Merrill Lynch - Good place to work, depends on branch office manager. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Merrill Lynch

"Good place to work, depends on branch office manager."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

As a financial advisor, they are one of the few places to pay you a salary the first year.

Cons

I hoped to get better sales training and mentors. Our coaches were not helpful when it came to sales at all. I did not meet my goals and was fired. After I left, there were a lot of my coworkers who also ended up in the same position. When I interviewed, I was told 1 in 2 got through the program. In reality, it was about 1 in 20. Thankfully, the coach was replaced after I left and I hope they are doing better.

Advice to Management

Set up a program to help the younger financial advisors get help when they ask for it.

Other Employee Reviews for Merrill Lynch

"The Operation Was a Success, But the Patient Died."

Former Employee - AVP/Systems Engineer in Hopewell, NJ
    Former Employee - AVP/Systems Engineer in Hopewell, NJ

Pros

Hard to say. Perhaps a place to get started, but that is not unique to Merrill. Let's face it, the "company," first of all, is always just the people around you. If you are lucky to get in with a good group, you will do better than getting in with a bad group. You can deal with an overall bad employer as long as the "company" around you is doable. But there comes the tipping point when it just isn't worth it any longer. One plus, I suppose, is that training is supported, but, again, depends on the manager.

Cons

Merrill is an organization that is dying on the inside. People are very unhappy and scared. If you are in IT, as I was, and get the feeling that management is desperately trying to get rid of you, I'd say you are right. Like many "great" companies, Merrill is running on its old image, and a powerful image it is. Take, for example, the poor sucker sovereign state(s) that recently dumped huge sums of money into Merrill, only to have the stock promptly tank.

Advice to Management

What sense, really, was there in moving hundreds of IT positions to Jacksonville, FL? Let's hope it had to have been more than simply because a member of the board of directors has a construction company in the state. Certainly it's not because salaries are much lower there, because they are not. And which employees went there? Those with the fewest skills and options in the job market. And Singapore? Well, it is Asia, but not the one you are thinking of.

2. "The Pit and the Pendulum ---"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great Experiance... meet some great people

Cons

Stick to your vision and goals... stop swinging like a Pendulum month-by-month

Advice to Management

Get on the ground... !! truly understand whats going on around the firm and the marketplace ! Creat and communicate a vision and stick to it!