Merry Maids - worked very long, tiring hours. the job could be very disgusting at times. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Merry Maids

"worked very long, tiring hours. the job could be very disgusting at times."

Pros

The pay was pretty good but the company made out much better than the employees.

Cons

there was too much over-time and the supervisor (who was responsible for checking my work) had never even worked as a maid. I felt like a peasant.

Other Employee Reviews for Merry Maids

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Merry Maids full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some lovely co-workers who were very sweet and fun to work with.
    Gave some basic entry-level experience in the field.
    Some areas serviced were beautiful, ie country areas, farms, etc.

Cons

Terrible pay--a 15% commission from a portion of the cost. This usually equals about ten to twenty dollars for a house. Commission decreases with the amount of time taken, so a house that needs 4 hours (most people work alone or in a team of 2) will wind up putting less money in your pocket--a lose-lose situation (if you take longer but do a great job, you make much less, but if you rush and do a poor job you will be taken down to minimum wage for the whole day's work--not just that one house!).
    LONG commutes. Up to two hours a day in driving.
    NO breaks, aside from driving from one house to another.
    Long work days much of the time. Required to be at the office no later than 7:30 am, and often i was not getting home until 6 pm or later (usually later).
    No recognition for outstanding performance, only punishment for poor performance.
    System of earning paid days off is convoluted and impossible to understand--you must achieve a number of goals to earn 3 paid days per quarter.
    There was a great deal of dishonesty in their advertisements for their open positions. I was under the assumption, from materials I'd read, that they gave tuition reimbursement for college classes, and was told that people could earn up to $700 a week. There was NO tuition reimbursement; new employees don't get benefits until they have been there 6 months; and nobody made a lot.
    My last week there I worked 48 hours and only brought home $272. Even weeks where i worked 60 hours i only brought home $450.
    The rate of pay changed every week. Some weeks I earned $10 an hour, but most I only earned $7.25 an hour.

Advice to Management

HONESTY, people!!!

2. "Job with merry maids"

Pros

Weekly pay is my only pro with them now.

Cons

Unfortunately I had a very bad experience with merry maids. I got hired with them.was very excited to start my job as I enjoy cleaning and they seemed like very nice people! Went for my training and video. They found out I was pregnant, after making me sit through training and videos, they pulled me aside to tell.me they didn't think the job was now fit for me and didn't think I could handle the work. I was quite upset, and also embarrassed as just because I am pregnant does not make me incapable of doing my job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be, not to discriminate against woman who are only doing a natural course of life. You are all women, at some point most or all of you were in my shoes. If someone is qualified and capable of working, even when pregnant don't cut them so short before you see their performances.