Mervyns - A job I will never do again. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mervyns

"A job I will never do again."

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New Orleans, LA
Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Advancement opportunities or to beef up your resume either for volume sales or # employees managed.

Cons

As a male, it is a little bit difficult to assimilate into the culture. Most of the management is female. It is a company that requires you to have a cheerful attitude all of the time, management meetings are not serious and often full of ridiculous time-wasters disguised as team-building activities.

Advice to Management

Look for a new job

Other Employee Reviews for Mervyns

1. "Merchandise Planner at Mervyns"

Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planner in Hayward, CA

Pros

The best reasons to work for Mervyns were the training and the competitive pay. The training program was top notch and it really gave me the tools to do my job and move on to the next level. For most of the time I worked there, I felt like the level of support was very good. It was not as easy to get promoted into a buying position as a planning one. I think some people were promoted/hired in senior management that shouldn't have been and that lead to the demise of the company. I have mixed feelings about my time there because alot of it was very good but towards the end I grew tired of the poor management when moved to another department.

Cons

The downsides of working at Mervyns was the poor direction of senior management. I felt that there were some people who were hired as management who were ineffective. Another downside was that it wasn't a public company so there were no stock options. Also, you might get promoted but not necessarily into the position you wanted. Another downside was that Mervyns was not a very well respected brand. I wasn't very proud to tell people I worked there. The location of the office was in Hayward which is not a very nice place to work and the building was old.

Advice to Management

I would say that they should have been more careful with who was hired in senior managment.

2. "Great place to work and learn - awful pay."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hayward, CA

Pros

Excellent training and career development, corporate culture - team oriented make didn't make it seem that you worked for a big company.

Cons

Senior management mishandling of operations, disconnect between customers and product offerings make it frustrating to plan for long-term goals.

Advice to Management

More understanding of base customers and what they needed. Definitely needed more market research and trend analysis. Don't rely too much on what vendors offer but trust merchandisers, product development to make own trend and direction for company assortment.