Metropolitan Museum of Art - He's been there for many years and I think he has done a great job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Metropolitan Museum of Art

"He's been there for many years and I think he has done a great job."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

I think the opportunity to work in one of the world's greatest art museums is the best reason to work there. Working there usually gets you free admission to almost all museums in New York. Employees not working on Monday get to visit on Monday when the museum is closed to the general public. Employees also get to see previews of new exhbibitions before they open to the general public. The Met Store grants a very generous discount to employees, especially during staff sales. They offer part-timers the opportunity to buy into their health insurance plan should they need it. They have very nice career-related skills workshops. Finally, they have a decent and inexpensive cafeteria.

Cons

Like almost all non-profit art institutions, the pay for most positions is far behind what those same positions average at for-profit companies. In my area, I think there could be better communication between associates and those working in upper management.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for communication between departments even if they have no relation to each other.

Other Employee Reviews for Metropolitan Museum of Art

1. "Research Assistant"

Pros

Really great staff, amazing collection!

Cons

Hard to get to know people outside your department, and not great in terms of salary raises.

2. "Not too demanding, but good start to interning & networking"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Metropolitan Museum of Art as an intern

Pros

The internship program is mainly divided into two parts: first part is that individual interns are assigned to various departments and assist their supervisors, so it's a good way to get the behind-the-scenes look into the curatorial/pr&communication/management process of the institution. The second part of the internship, which is the group seminars, for which all interns gather as a group and discuss art history, curation, as well as visiting special rooms like conservation labs, was a bigger strength of the program. Plus since my internship, the internship coordinator has been consistently contacting current and former interns, informing us all of reunions and other related events. Great source of network, in short.

Cons

The work wasn't too demanding. I wish I could have done more or retained more from the experience. But it was, after all, a high school internship. The pay is also pretty low, unfortunately.