Metropolitan State University - GREAT | Glassdoor

"GREAT"

Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small somewhat isolated departments with almost no politics running independently. Support staff is good and seems to realize they are making a difference since they are the only thing holding the organization together. Highly flexible and able to bend the rules when reasonable (people tend to think instead of parrot policies.) Managed with less waste than I have ever seen, businesses included.

Cons

Too politically correct, especially for a University; more like a business - too risk adverse. The isolated groups never know what each is doing so collaboration is weak - not that it is needed. Faculty workshops are next to useless and that is why nobody goes to them. Often the theme of workshops is decades behind the times. The IT dept is about as bad as everywhere else - horribly underfunded and too many bad attitudes. The website is lousy. Faculty have to for pay parking in the school's ramp. Security cameras on campus to catch the criminals - students do not feel safe going to their cars and there is not enough security escorts to cover the number of people who WOULD ask for one if there wasn't a stigma and an attitude involved. They could use a job placement dept to help graduating students.

Advice to Management

Fund IT dept and demand better service. Make workshops mandatory, smaller sized, more unconventional and remove the usually pointless keynotes; something that builds community like group activities. Staff will share ideas and experiences on their own; prompt a starting point for discussion and let them loose to play bingo or volleyball etc. Improve campus security. Clean up the list serve - we have enough email! Allow us to use our own email tools. Given that email is the only method of communication it should be given much more attention. Stop with all the no-surprise fire drills or at least do them during a break period if you have to rob me of that time every semester. I'd like to know why we are forced to be treated like children - fire drills at this age? How about a FAQ for staff so we can see why policies like this happen? I'm being critical but it appears to me the school runs itself so management should get some credit for this amazing organization working so well.

Other Employee Reviews for Metropolitan State University

1. "IT technical support (Graduate Assistant)"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Metropolitan State University as a contractor

Pros

great work environment and best team members. friendly and supportive colleagues. great research and idea development opportunity

Cons

less diversity and need more inclusion specifically when it comes to hiring full time employee. less growth opportunity for temporary employee

2. "Positive Student Worker Experience"

Pros

I held part-time student worker jobs in both the IT department and a student organization during my time at Metro State. In IT, there was always someone available for questions, and opportunities for further training were available to anyone who asked. In the student organization, supervisors always did their best to make time for us when we needed it.

Cons

Even if there was always someone available in IT, the chain of responsibility was a bit loopy, and there were times when I was assigned projects with no designated subject matter expert, wasting a lot of time just figuring out who was responsible. As for student organizations, the office overseeing our work was spread very thin and could be difficult to reach.

Advice to Management

There was a big push to foster a sense of community at Metro while I was working and studying there, but these efforts mostly fell flat due to the nature of the school: it's a commuter college, and almost everyone is just showing up to class and leaving when it ends. We were pressured to attend events organized at hours that made commuting more difficult, and then our managers would wonder why nobody showed up. I would have liked to see more resources spent on adding staff and less wasted on community spaces that the vast majority of students are too busy to utilize.