Metropolitan State University - GREAT | Glassdoor

"GREAT"

Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Community Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small somewhat isolated departments with almost no politics running independently. Support staff is good and seems to realize they are making a difference since they are the only thing holding the organization together. Highly flexible and able to bend the rules when reasonable (people tend to think instead of parrot policies.) Managed with less waste than I have ever seen, businesses included.

Cons

Too politically correct, especially for a University; more like a business - too risk adverse. The isolated groups never know what each is doing so collaboration is weak - not that it is needed. Faculty workshops are next to useless and that is why nobody goes to them. Often the theme of workshops is decades behind the times. The IT dept is about as bad as everywhere else - horribly underfunded and too many bad attitudes. The website is lousy. Faculty have to for pay parking in the school's ramp. Security cameras on campus to catch the criminals - students do not feel safe going to their cars and there is not enough security escorts to cover the number of people who WOULD ask for one if there wasn't a stigma and an attitude involved. They could use a job placement dept to help graduating students.

Advice to Management

Fund IT dept and demand better service. Make workshops mandatory, smaller sized, more unconventional and remove the usually pointless keynotes; something that builds community like group activities. Staff will share ideas and experiences on their own; prompt a starting point for discussion and let them loose to play bingo or volleyball etc. Improve campus security. Clean up the list serve - we have enough email! Allow us to use our own email tools. Given that email is the only method of communication it should be given much more attention. Stop with all the no-surprise fire drills or at least do them during a break period if you have to rob me of that time every semester. I'd like to know why we are forced to be treated like children - fire drills at this age? How about a FAQ for staff so we can see why policies like this happen? I'm being critical but it appears to me the school runs itself so management should get some credit for this amazing organization working so well.

Other Employee Reviews for Metropolitan State University

1. "Great Place to Teach"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Metropolitan State University part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Department Chair is clear about expectations, and supportive.
    Students are varied which keeps the 'saw sharp.'
    Plenty of professional development opportunities.
    Community Faculty not treated like second class!

Cons

I can' think of any.

2. "Front Desk Technician"

I worked at Metropolitan State University part-time

Pros

Great environment to learn about the business behind school systems.

Cons

Wish it paid more or even better.

Advice to Management

Care about people more.