Metropolitan Water District of Southern California - Polished and highly political government agency - smart people | Glassdoor

"Polished and highly political government agency - smart people"

in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California for more than 10 years

Pros

Metropolitan is a special district of the state of California and as such enjoys some of the perks that come with government work: manageable hours, pension, generous benefits, lots of regulations that protect employees, and big and meaningful mission: providing water for 19 million people in Southern California. Most employees are very smart and dedicated to the mission. There is also quite a bit of creativity... involved in solving interesting problems, from Engineering to Water Supply to HR.

Cons

This is a highly political environment and because of visibility to the world, things tend to move extremely slowly and cautiously. What makes this agency very polite and civilized can turn into analysis paralysis. Anyone driven by quick action for quick results would find it exhausting to work here - as probably would be the case in most government agencies anyways.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2017-05-27

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Best place to work in the water industry"

Current Employee - Resource Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family oriented. Flexible hours. Great managers. Excellent benefits. GM/CEO is a visionary. Huge learning experience.

Cons

Politics both internal and external.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2019-06-28
  2. "Excellent place to work"

Current Contractor - OSS Administrative Assistant in La Verne, CA

I have been working at Metropolitan Water District of Southern California for less than a year

Pros

Number #1 is pays well. I'm currently on a 6 month contract with the company. I say that I enjoyed working would be an understatement. I work in the fleet department assisting with various tasks and odd jobs. I am there to let the staff focus on their work and to ease their work load. General administrative tasks, ie: word processing, copying, filing etc. My main duties are to distribute the daily mail. It's a lot... at times. Sort by hand, then hop in a cart and distribute throughout the whole facility. The process takes 20-30 minutes give or take. As a temp, I did take on some odd tasks. Basically, everything they didn't want to do or had time for, I had to take on. It wasn't so bad. It's a government/city job. I am currently going to test for an a position that just opened up. Once an employee, you're practically made here, of course if you're a good worker. Excellent pay, benefits, 401k...the works. Highly recommeded!

Cons

That I'm on contract. Other than that...nothing.

Metropolitan Water District of Southern California2019-05-15

Discover more reviews about Metropolitan Water District of Southern California.