Miami - Great place to work. | Glassdoor

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Litigation Assistant in Miami, FL

I worked at Miami full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Excellent benefits and atmosphere. The City of Miami is great about training and cross training its employees to be able to assist in different departments.

Cons

Politics can sometimes create an upheaval in the structure in which we do business. Transitions in power can be better.

Other Employee Reviews for Miami

1. "This is not a place to look for a career, I am here for the benefits."

Current Employee - Personnel Officer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Personnel Officer in Miami, FL

Pros

good medical plan, holidays, vacation, work-life balance

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement. Many positions filled by those who are politically connected even though we are under a hiring freeze.

Advice to Management

There should be more employee training and easier pathways to promotion.

2. "Work here for low stress and adequate pay then leave."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

The people are great to work with. There is never a problem when I need to take off. Pension, health insurance, bank holidays. Steady paycheck. I have a great boss but his boss, the department director, is horrible. After hours parties, free cultural events with lots of food. Diverse staff. Great place to work if you enjoy doing what you are told to do and do not think about anything else to contribute. Low stress. Diverse assignments. Good place to work if you are interested in a future in local politics (You will learn who to avoid and who will help you). Hard to get fired.

Cons

This is not a place to work if you are very ambitious. Lots of beuracracy (it's government). Organization is slow to change. Possibilities for promotion are slim, specifically for me. Cubicles, drab carpeting and paint unless you work in a specific department which have been updated. Constant interruptions. Many times instead of a promotion a person will need to apply for the position and may not get the promotion because a better applicant will apply from outside the organization. Work is not stimulating. Miami-Dade County offers better benefits and are located a few blocks away.

Advice to Management

Recognize individuals who want to make the City a better place. Incentivize idea generation that brings the organization into the 21st century.