Michael Baker International - Great people overall but major disconnect between corporate and branches | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michael Baker International

"Great people overall but major disconnect between corporate and branches"

I have been working at Michael Baker International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really loved working with the people. Very challenging projects, flexible schedules and telecommute options.

Cons

Corporate is very disconnected from the other offices and control your ability (or rather inability) to ever be promoted. If you don't work in Pittsburgh forget them ever even noticing you and your hard work. Instead they try to bring the quality down to mediocre levels with all the asinine processes and procedures, which seem to only have value in nitpicking your paperwork skills instead if helping you do your job better.

Advice to Management

Work on creating processes that actually work for your people to help them do their jobs better and less paperwork for paperwork sake.

Other Employee Reviews for Michael Baker International

"Not what it used to be"

Pros

I was able to do many different things early on in my career.

Cons

It has become very political, you are advanced based on who you know and not your skills. They do not value female employees. The new management and owners have no loyalty. Some very good people were let go that had been there 20 plus years. The remaining talent is leaving on their own. They are not family oriented. They provide little training or prof development. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

"With Baker, it's important to be self-motivated"

Former Employee - Civil Associate I
    Former Employee - Civil Associate I

I worked at Michael Baker International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was afforded the opportunity to learn about the Roadway industry and estimating. Working with a dedicated design team was helpful with completing daily tasks.

Cons

The guidance for an Engineer-In-Training was fairly lacking. I felt like I was expected to keep up with engineers and drafters at least 7 years my senior.

Advice to Management

Implement a stronger training program. There should be a stronger training program with monthly meetings that involve all associates instead of Senior Management alone.