Michaels Stores - Frustrating | Glassdoor

"Frustrating"

Pros

Employee Discount - it's a job so therefore money - and that's about it.

Cons

Ridiculous expectations of employees, ridiculous and constant changing of store layout, crowded layout of store, no logic to set-up which lessens ones ability to help customers locate items, less-than-stellar management, and most of all: retail. One word. Retail.

Advice to Management

Positive reinforcement is never a bad way to go. Only speaking to people when there is an issue or a perceived issue is not a viable method to up performance. Communication and general respect for another human being...learn it.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "It's bearable."

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-coworkers and managers are extremely friendly and fun to work with
    -some customers really know how make your day
    -you learn something new every day
    -the employee discount is reasonable along with the occasional employee coupon books.
    -you have a good amount of opportunities to advance
    -managers are actually nice (except when they stand around doing nothing, ignoring everyone) and will show their support if you ever have any customer issues to deal with.

Cons

-pay isn't balanced with the amount of work you're required to do
    -there's many people working there that shouldn't be, they generally just can't seem to grasp what they're supposed to be doing and management doesn't make an effort in improving that. It puts more on my plate because I have to make up for what they're failing to do.
    -there aren't enough people working when they're needed.
    -store of the future (as I was told) was meant to be a change that would enable workers to become more focused and efficient while working, but there are never enough people working. Everyone is still running around, breaking their backs trying to do everything they're being expected to do, and not getting paid enough to do it. The problem is: store of the future is inefficient.
    -nobody but the managers are given more than 30 hours a week. The average week is 4-17 hours per associate.

Advice to Management

I'd advise being more careful in the hiring process or improving the way people are trained. Also, more associates are needed during the day! It isn't fair to force the few employees scheduled, to work 10 times as hard to make up for the lack of help from unscheduled associates.

2. "Promotions are a joke! There is no loyalty from the company, and training is terrible!"

Current Employee - Paper Work
    Current Employee - Paper Work

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the people at Michaels.

Cons

Corporate office is where the trouble is at. Orders from above have begun a theme on the sales floor, "If you can't do it, we will find some one who will." Without time, training, and experience, no job can get done. By the way, there are only full time jobs for managers, all else is part time, meaning an average of 5.5 hours a week per employee or less. I think I would get better pay and hours at a drive thru!

Advice to Management

Run, your job is dead end.