Michaels Stores - Corporate Office needs a wake-up call | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Corporate Office needs a wake-up call"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

The store manager, all managers work just as hard as the regular employees, sometimes harder.

Cons

Corporate has no clue how their policies affect their employees in all levels. They hire too many employees, knowing that most of them will get so few hours they will quit. (My scenario) Their stores will never run efficiently with their "first class service" because of their greediness. Only managers are full-time. Regular employees are part time, the store is understaffed, so you have to work your rear end off & try to do 3 things at once, while they get a few more bucks in their pocket because they didn't have to pay one or 2 more people to get things done up to their standards. So they end up with a line of disgruntled customers with one cashier, & disgruntled employees who see that there is no way to have the store run properly with too few employees working. It's hot in the store in the Summer-corporate is saving a few bucks by saving on the a/c, but at what cost?

Advice to Management

Wake up, corporate office!

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"New Designer positions in a challenging, corporate environment. An education."

Current Employee - Product Designer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Designer in Dallas, TX

Pros

New Skill Development
    Exposure to many aspects of the Business
    Financially Successful
    The company is moving in a positive direction

Cons

Challenging, aggressive environment
    With a lot of positive change comes some turbulence.
    Will not negotiate Vacation

Advice to Management

Being part of Michaels turn around and Private Brands has been amazing!

Michaels has SO much talent in it's ranks that is not being used to it's full potential. If obstacles and old ways of thinking were eliminated, the sky's the limit for this store. It could become a Time Square quality, destination to be inspired. It's getting there, but could really redefine it's genre. Much time is taken proving one's self to new team members due to frequent re-orgs.

The corporate work environment could be more conducive to creativity. Less gray cubes, less formal meetings.
    A more flexible work schedule would help meet the tight deadlines and large amount of work needed for product development, while keeping designers engaged.

2. "Liked at first.. now not so much."

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Goleta, CA

Pros

They have a pretty competitive pay which is nice when needing to pay bills.
    The management WAS OK.
    Hours worked for me.
    Good hours from start.

Cons

They cut hours alot. They start you with 20-25 or more to get you to like the job. But don't get comfortable there they are going to reduce it. The managements attitude slowly got worse and now just sucks I dread going into work every day. The district manager always seems to be in a snappy mood and give you no respect it also seems like she has no sense of humor.

They are really rude when it comes to talking to fellow employees. They prefer if you didn't talk at all.(I'm pretty sure we need human interaction). The shift size of 3 hours or 4 hours sucks... I don't want to ride my bicycle all that distance for 3 hours.

I wouldn't suggest anyone works here it is a good job for first month or 2 if you need money but stick around like I have and you will have a bad review just like me.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of your employees moods and be more respectful. If you want us to work harder maybe you should show us how fast you want us to work not think of rude this gs to say and take your bad day out on us.

If corporate is breathing down your neck then you need to filter out your mood. Managers should have a better way to handle their stress.