Michaels Stores - Love it! | Glassdoor

"Love it!"

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores (More than a year)

Pros

- Michael's likes to promote from within when they can. In 2 years, I was promoted from Sales Associate to Customer Experience Manager. If you are a hard worker, work well with fellow employees and customers alike, and have a friendly personality, you can get promoted. Be sure to let the Store Manager know that you are interested in growing with the company, so they keep you in mind. When positions open up in your store, interview for them!
- How good of an experience you will have will largely depend on your team, especially Store Manager (SM). I am lucky to have an awesome SM, great team of fellow department managers, and good group of associates. I love the people I work with and enjoy our customers.
- Senior management listens to what customers want. Customers wanted more alphabet sticker options and by the next year, we had 3 sections instead of one.

Cons

- Limited full time / lead positions in our store.
- Can't be a manager AND class instructor.

Advice to Management

Get more hours on the sales floor so we can:
- Continue to provide our customers with the help they need in finding things and
- Make sure the store remains neat and clean for the customer

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "So-So"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time

Pros

Friendly co worklers, easy job, decent pay.

Cons

They never had enough people working so we would always get bombarded with customers at busy times. Manager was snooty. Customers

"Store of the Future? You Can't Be Serious..."

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Fun place to work
    2. You have the opportunity to explore every kind of creative activity known to man
    3. Excellent merchandise selection
    4. If they're out of a product, they can special order it for you no problems.
    5. Customers tend to be sugar sweet (for the most part)

Cons

1. Constantly having to grill customers for emails (they don't like that AT ALL). Especially if they're regulars, and have already given it...
    2. Since our store entered the first phase of Store of the Future, our customer service has suffered greatly. From open to about noon there is only a manager who has to deal with all the opening procedures and paperwork, not to mention catching up on district related emails in the back office. Then there is the lone cashier; the only employee to be seen anywhere in the store (other than framing). What happened to the sales people on the sales floor; you know, the ones who show the customers where to go, discuss the products with the customers so we can make juicy sales, the ones who can jump on a register if the cashier gets swamped. Yeah, THOSE sales people! Store of the Future has axed that completely, especially in the mornings. God forbid the cashier has to go and do a price check herself because the manager is on a conference call, or is caught in Framing because they're swamped or busy doing a CSO, and suddenly she's got 10 customers flagging her down 'where's this and where's that'. NOT COOL!
    3. Khaki pants...really? Who thought that was a good idea for a craft store? Let's just jump on the 'everyone's doing it' bandwagon and alienate our customers who rely on us to BE creative and inspiring. No, instead we must look like 'mindless automatons', joining the fray of strange sameness that most all retail chains are drowning in...khaki slacks . We are a craft store, where creativity is supposed to be paramount...yet we look like retail clones of so many other retail chains...
    4. 'Expert T-shirts'...anyone can say they're a Brain Surgeon, but the proof is in the doing. If we're allowed to wear what we make, or showcase the craft we're best at, that may add some clout to our claim of experthood, especially in the eyes of the customer relying on us to be an expert.
    4. Understaffed
    5. No real opportunity for growth or moving up. I've seen people in the same position for 5-6 years, and never move up...it's typical for retail...it feels kinda dead end.
    6. Never enough hours, and way to many people being hired and underutilized.

Advice to Management

Work out the hours vs. hiring dilemma. So many people and so few hours makes so little sense. Figure out how Store of the Future is supposed to function, and help the rest of us understand it, because it makes no sense thus far. Create a training environment where HANDS ON is the norm...I'm sorry, but reading an SOP and signing it is not the same as actually DOING the task one is 'training' for. This new training system is hardly empowering nor does it promote self confidence in one's ability to perform the new task. It seems like things have gotten so much worse since we switched over. Make certain your people are getting their breaks when they're supposed to. You're the 'mother hen' so to speak, it's up to you to make sure we're productive...and part of being productive is being allowed to rest our tired feet on a break. Make an effort to make each person feel as if they're part of something greater than themselves. Make sure we are all involved in what's happening in the store...it's good for morale, and people will feel involved and useful.