Michaels Stores - Managers have no clue what they are doing! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Managers have no clue what they are doing!"

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Charlottesville, VA
Current Employee - Cashier/Sales in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly co-workers, flexible schedule, those are the only good things about this place

Cons

The four managers here have no idea what they are doing. I just started a couple of weeks ago and I am already looking for another job. The managers each tell you different rules or different ways to do them so you get in trouble when doing it a different way you were. And god forbid you ask them to help you with something, they give you attitude even though you are still learning. They are not professional, constantly talking badly about workers in front of customers and other workers. Customers always complain about what a poorly run business this is. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together, be more tolerable of mistakes and be more understanding

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Enjoyed teaching, but the store was not helpful."

Former Employee - Jewelry and Painting Teacher in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Jewelry and Painting Teacher in Canton, GA

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed teaching the classes. Jewelry making and painting.

Cons

I put a lot of my time and money into promotions that were not executed by the stores.
    Both stores did not tell me about students when I called.
    The stores let down their number one best seller of the products. ME.
    The painting classes where limiting, need better time frame layout and drawing.
    Jewelry promos we had to do, did not come in with the supplies needed or correct directions.
    Never enough hours allowed to do what I needed to get done.
    I was not allowed decent hours because of Wilton classes. I got the leftovers.
    I even initiated a set of classes, coming up with the ideas, getting the product samples done. Using two new lines. Manager was gun-ho. But the store did nothing after set-up to sell classes. I live a distance aways. Really frustrating.

Advice to Management

Frustrating working with managers who just don't care about the classes.
    The teachers really do sell your product. They know how to use the product. Use them, promote them.
    I wasn't hired in the store as a worker because I was a perceived threat to management. I hold a degree in retail. I didn't want a management job. But it sure would have helped me in getting students. That's a shame.

"I was treated like a child"

Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Waynesville, NC
    Former Employee - Part Time Replenishment Associate in Waynesville, NC

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can wear jeans to work if you have one of their official t-shirts, the online system is convenient for requesting time off etc.

Cons

They would tell me I wasn't scheduled for a couple days, then they would later put me on the schedule without informing me, and scold me for not showing up. I wasn't properly trained, and whenever I would ask a supervisor a question they would act like I was an idiot and like I was wasting their time.

Advice to Management

Your employees are hard-working adults, don't treat them like they are disposable.