Michaels Stores - Unfare & feeling cheated for all the sincere & hard work that I put in. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"Unfare & feeling cheated for all the sincere & hard work that I put in."

Current Employee - Certified Framer in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Certified Framer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Creative environment. I go to work in this place for the work that I do & for the customer's.

Cons

Does not stick to the principles of the company. Does not give fare chance to all hardworking associates. Management say's something & does something else.

Advice to Management

People with special skills need to be payed a little more than regular associates. Sincerity of an associate needs too be rewarded by proper pay or bonuses. There is a difference between associates who do specialized work & regular floor associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Horrible."

Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Replenishment Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

25% discount if you're into arts and crafts.

Cons

Competitive minimum wages. Personally under constant scrutiny from all three managers. I do the work of 3 people there, work constant over nights from midnight to past noon, and yet I'm still treated as if I'm the slowest person on the planet. Money is the bottom line. Too many employees getting 5 hours a week. No training unless you're on replenishment. Impossible time limits for unloading trucks.

Advice to Management

Quit thinking you are better than everyone else. You are not important. You all are just people who've spent too many years of their lives working for Michael's and somehow got promoted above sales floor.

"Fantastic coworkers, terrible policies."

Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Palm Coast, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees are great. You come to work feeling excited to work with everyone. The majority of the time, the costumers are positive and great to interact with. The discounts as an employee are also fantastic.

Cons

Most recently, the policies have changed since I began working back in June 2012. As a cashier, we are no longer getting more then 3.5hrs per shift, regardless of how many hours we are actually available. They put us on for the maximum amount of hours without giving us breaks, while all other positions in the store get 4+ hours in a shift. If we are asked to cover a shift before or after ours, it is nearly impossible to get assistance in order to take a break or get a lunch.

Also new to the company, if you do not get 15% email collection, after 2-3 months, you are fired. The majority of our customers are regulars who do not want to give their email to us every other day. It makes for a very frustrating work experience.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to have more hours if they are available to work them. Customers will appreciate having more sales associates and cashiers on during busy hours at the store.