Michaels Stores - the company is unfair to employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"the company is unfair to employees"

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great employees and wonderful customers

Cons

All about money to the upper people...all the while giving employees from 3 to 10cent raises
I was a store manager there for 15 years and watched it go downhill
every practice they put in place made it harder to retain good people
they said they were for family work balance for managers but we were open on thanksgiving
what a joke have dinner with your family haha but open your store at 4 or 5 pm

Advice to Management

get out before you are swallowed up

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"soul killing nightmare"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great coworkers, fun to be around arts and crafts, I didn't mind the grunt work

Cons

Higher level management, policy, inhumane practices.
    - They throw away NEW products that aren't selling or weren't used during events or demonstrations.
    -when you are working on the "floor" as a sales associate, you are responsible for completing your tasks in an allotted time, regardless of how many customers you help. This is impossible. And you are punished with threats, warnings, etc. for not doing the impossible. BUT, they want you to quit so they can replace you with someone who they will pay minimum wage. And they will do the same thing to them so all of their associates never make more than minimum wage.
    - they eliminate positions to get rid of employees then re-create these positions a month later so that they can get someone new and pay minimum wage.
    - They expect 50 year old, sweater knitting, grandmothers to unload merchandise, and then they punish them when they don;t do it as fast as they "should".
    - They ofter no benefits.
    -They don't want to pay overtime, so employees are fired after starting or ENDING work more than 3 minutes late. Not sure how your supposed to tell a customer "Ya, I'm off the clock so I have to stop helping you frame your artwork or find the paint you need". The employees care about the work they do, and often will ask the customer to excuse them while they go clock out, and then go back to finish helping the customer off the clock.
    -in store managers, who are on salary, also often end up working 7 days per week.

Advice to Management

Thank you... after working for you, every job I've had has felt like heaven.
    Really though, the way you treat your employees is unforgivable.

2. "Love it!"

Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager
    Current Employee - PT Customer Experience Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores (More than a year)

Pros

- Michael's likes to promote from within when they can. In 2 years, I was promoted from Sales Associate to Customer Experience Manager. If you are a hard worker, work well with fellow employees and customers alike, and have a friendly personality, you can get promoted. Be sure to let the Store Manager know that you are interested in growing with the company, so they keep you in mind. When positions open up in your store, interview for them!
    - How good of an experience you will have will largely depend on your team, especially Store Manager (SM). I am lucky to have an awesome SM, great team of fellow department managers, and good group of associates. I love the people I work with and enjoy our customers.
    - Senior management listens to what customers want. Customers wanted more alphabet sticker options and by the next year, we had 3 sections instead of one.

Cons

- Limited full time / lead positions in our store.
    - Can't be a manager AND class instructor.

Advice to Management

Get more hours on the sales floor so we can:
    - Continue to provide our customers with the help they need in finding things and
    - Make sure the store remains neat and clean for the customer