Michaels Stores - If you value being treated fairly and with respect, look elsewhere. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"If you value being treated fairly and with respect, look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great associates at store level. Lots of seasonal merchandise, can be fun. Rotating weekends for mgmt.

Cons

Communication is terrible. it is either nonexistent, or completely overwhelming. They change direction by the hour sometimes and seem to be completely detached from store operations, not realizing customers must be helped and cashiering, trucks, etc.There seems to be a "shoot first, ask questions later (or don't ask) mentality within field management and executives. In my experience the dm in my market was very disengaged from my particular store. He was hardly there and unresponsive to the needs of the business there. He is basically a mouthpiece that spends the majority of his time show boating for executives. He makes a lot of great promises and doesn't make good on them.

Advice to Management

Develop your employees and care about their growth. Most of us are here because of our passion and drive to succeed, not just a paycheck.

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Very nice place to work."

Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier/Stocking/Customer Service in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the working environment had a positive effect on my perception on retail work and store maintenance. Management policy and store cleanliness maintenance and go-backs seemed to flow acceptably, and I can safely say that the team environment was very helpful to my perspective on how work hours go. I only regret that I couldn't be of more help within that limited time to them.

Cons

Not much I could say. I didn't have much time to stay there, since I was only working seasonal part-time. Nevertheless, from what I gathered, not much, if at all. Also, the reason for my lack of opinion on the CEO themselves had to do with me never having seen any example of their work directly. Otherwise, my perspective of them is rather positive.

Advice to Management

Not much I can remember that would help, except perhaps maybe have a sort of system for the go-backs? Then again, the time I worked was December 2007 to January 2008. Might have changed that ever since already.

2. "Bittersweet"

Current Employee - Certified Framer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Certified Framer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making new friends with employees.
    Helping customers with creativity/crafty ideas.
    25% regular discount
    Shopping/Health Benefits

Cons

Dealing with customers getting upset for no reason.
    Sometimes seen as just another body used to help around the store.
    Picking up items left in wrong places due to customers.
    GLITTER, especially during the holidays.