Michaels Stores - its all about the bottom line | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Michaels Stores

"its all about the bottom line"

Current Employee - Framing Manager
Current Employee - Framing Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ok benefits, great coworkers, decent schedule for a retail job, for the most part a fun work enviroment, ok dress code

Cons

as a corporation, they try to promote this image of caring about the employees, but its really whatever will save them a cent. crappy raises, basically you just make enough to keep up with the rate of inflation. i have never experienced so much miromanagement in my life

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

"Management doesn't seem to value their employees' contributions, and doesn't treat them with respect."

Former Employee - Lease Administrative
    Former Employee - Lease Administrative

I worked at Michaels Stores full-time

Pros

Coworkers in (related) departments other than mine were helpful when I had questions regarding job functions.

Cons

When I found cost savings, I was rudely asked why I hadn't discovered them sooner, rather than being recognized for my discovery. When I asked for help, I was told I should already know the procedures, made to feel like an idiot, and was left to fend for myself. I did not feel there was a strong team environment -- rather, a competitive, 'every man for himself' vibe which led to employees brown-nosing to seek favor with management. Not much room for advancement. HR was not neutral in any way -- any issues I brought to them were discussed with management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people! I wish managers knew how much improving employee morale and recognizing their strengths and accomplishments can go toward improving productivity. Sometimes when management members are older, have been in the same position for years and are more set in their ways, they are less likely to 'think outside the box' and welcome new ideas and procedures. Don't act like a despot and still believe you can expect excellence from your team.

"If you value being treated fairly and with respect, look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Michaels Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with great associates at store level. Lots of seasonal merchandise, can be fun. Rotating weekends for mgmt.

Cons

Communication is terrible. it is either nonexistent, or completely overwhelming. They change direction by the hour sometimes and seem to be completely detached from store operations, not realizing customers must be helped and cashiering, trucks, etc.There seems to be a "shoot first, ask questions later (or don't ask) mentality within field management and executives. In my experience the dm in my market was very disengaged from my particular store. He was hardly there and unresponsive to the needs of the business there. He is basically a mouthpiece that spends the majority of his time show boating for executives. He makes a lot of great promises and doesn't make good on them.

Advice to Management

Develop your employees and care about their growth. Most of us are here because of our passion and drive to succeed, not just a paycheck.