Michaels Stores - Sales associate | Glassdoor

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, NJ

I worked at Michaels Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Amen.

Cons

You have to wear a uniform.

Advice to Management

Take managers from ac moore

Other Employee Reviews for Michaels Stores

1. "Shots in the dark."

Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Michaels Stores as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this store and I loved working here the ambiance was right up my alley considering it was a craft store that could easily double as a step-ahead-of-last-resort if one is really trying to avoid having to go to blick's. The work is fast paced but there is room for advancement and benefits, etc.

Cons

It really depends on which one you go to because stock is different depending on where you go and so is management it could be great at one store or just terrible like you won't believe it and well I say read reviews before you go in one and call ahead of time for stock checks because you'll learn a lot more than if you just show up at the store also try using the 'online catalogue' and I put it that way because you cannot place online orders as one would presume.

Advice to Management

New management that has less issues it's okay to have bad days but everyday is a bit much.

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Michaels Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some tough people with great sense of humor who stick it out with this company, and I made friends with several of them at my old store.

Cons

Management is terrible. You can tell corporate is full of people who have never worked in the stores as they make up policies left and right that do not make sense and are almost anti-customer in that you would think they were trying to scare customers off! For example: the stingy coupon policy and having to collect customer IDs for cash returns. Neither of these go over well! And many of the customers don't seem to understand that corporate policy is corporate policy - they will take out their anger and disappointment on the cashiers and sales floor people who have no control over the rules. Also, the company habitually hires people so there are too many employees and not enough hours to go around. And last but not least there is no formal training for new employees, as Michaels seems to think it foolish to invest in their employees.

Advice to Management

Come up with a real training program, stop hiring so many people, and stop changing your policies so often! Change your focus from expanding the company with new stores to investing in the stores and employees you currently have. Your employees and customers will thank you for it!